MEETING 'GOAL': making better ammo

WESHOOT2

When I make ammo I have a goal.

It normally has a velocity requirement, but first I load for reliable function.
Then I load for useable accuracy.
THEN, and only then, do I search for velocity.
Normally all I need is 'enough', enough to make Power Factor (because I shoot IPSC/USPSA, so ALL my ammo has to make its Power Factor, so that whatever ammo I grab for a match makes 'PF').

Given that whatever load I'm working on WILL make its PF, I then do everything in my power to ensure reliability, both in feed and ejection.
To me, this is the most important part.

Given that the load functions, I then adjust for accuracy. User-friendly accuracy, controllable reliable accuracy.

I will adjust OAL and charge weight some, but if UNABLE TO MEET GOAL, I first switch bullets.

Not powder, not primer, not case brand.
Bullet.

IME bullets make the biggest 'accuracy' difference.

But not always......

CrustyFN

I am like you in that velocity is the last thing I worry about. I was wondering if you noticed your scores improve since you have been handloading and not using factory ammo.
Rusty

WESHOOT2

He shoots! He scores!

I have been making my own ammo since 1976; I noticed my scores improved when I switched from shooting my favorite EAA Witnesses to shooting my less-favorite 1911s.

I shoot 1911s better.

My ammo is already plenty good ;-)

A33102

castnblast

I don't worry about velocity either...it's a by-product...I started loading for 22-250 last year, and discovered w/ heavier bullets in the "hyper velocity" .22 rounds, velocity creates accuracy, which is due to the slinder nature of a .22 bullet. Quite the contrary for other rounds I loaded for in the past...Pistol & revolver rounds 40, 9mm, .357 .38; and rifle 25-06, .270. 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag... These rounds seldom performed accurately at their max velocity. However, the oposite is true for my .22-250, and my neighbors 220 swift. These rounds (due to twist rates designed for bullets in the 40-55gr. range) require fps to stabalize. So in search of the most accurate round, I wind up w/ the fastest, near max load as the most accurate...so powder burn rates and velocity they generate are things I look for when purchasing these powders, so in essence, I'm looking for velocity on this round to create the accuracy needed, and vice versa, I'm looking for accuracy first, so in order to acheive it, I need speed...lol...I'm rambling now, but I think I made my point...:D

Bottom line, I load for accuracy...speed is the by-product...it doesn't matter how fast it gets there if it doesn't hit it's mark...It just misses it a bit faster....:rolleyes: