Media in primer pocket after re-tumble

Chili Palmer

This is another "I'm sure I know the answer - don't do that"...

I've been reorganizing my load/reload loot and decided some of the brass I had cleaned and re-sized / removed primer weren't shiny enough compared to some other newly tumbled brass. I tumbled it again overnight, wow it came out shiny.

As I was inspecting I noticed tumble media stuck in the primer 'blast hole' if you will. Wouldn't come out with a jiggle, happened to have that de-primer die in the press and punched it out.

Here's where I know the answer.. just not how bad it would be. If I loaded a primer in a cartridge that was blocked / semi blocked... would it fizzle and be a dud or would the primer blast it right out of the way and pow with the powder?

I think I know the big answer - don't re-tumble brass after you remove primer... but if you didn't and the above happened..?

thanks!

Panfisher

I always re-tumble after resizing/depriming to remove the case lube and get the final "shiny". Checking the flash holes is just part of the routine, any small pointy tool will quickly dislodge the granule of tumbler media. I honestly don't think that the blockage would cause a complete mis-fire, the primer should blow it out easily, however it can't see that it would in any way be a good thing to have to rely on. Keep on tumbling them, and clean the flash holes when you are done, no problems.

rg1

I just accept that some primer flash holes will be blocked with media and inspect every case before priming. No scientific data here but I "think" that most media would be blown out of the flash hole and ignite the powder BUT it seems some blockages are so tight especially with corn cob media that it would prevent firing or cause a delayed ignition? Media blocking flash holes is a standard reply when someone asks about having a few misfires. While I think this is true, most misfires I think comes from primers not seated to the bottom of the pocket and "armed". It's a good practice to inspect all flash holes before priming.

Sierra280

Yep, just clean the flashholes after tumbling. If they are punched flashholes, uniforming and de-burring is also a good thing to do.

Sure shot wv

Companies make different "size" media. You can always change your grade of media so it won't get stuck in the flash hole. This happens to me all the time but my decapping pin takes care of it. I ultrasonic clean then tumble to dry and ad that extra shine. Eventually ill change media but since I've started using the ultrasonic about a year ago my media doesn't get very dirty. So... I can see the media I have lasting about another 5-10 years.

jcwit

The primer WILL knock the media out of the 'flash hole' with no problem when shot. This has been discussed and cussed on most every reloading forum out there.

Now then why not get the 20/40 grit media so as to not have the problem in the first place. You can have it shipped to your nearest Grainger for free and pick it up their. It also available from Zoro tools.

http://cart.zorotools.com/s.nl?sc=3&c=1326902&n=1&ext=T

http://www.grainger.com/product/ECO...luZ1z0m9pn?R=2MVR5&_=1387589081697&s_pp=false

Oldbuck30

Any welding

supply house has 20/40walnut too small to stick in hole. I buy 30 pounds for 19.00. Last for ever in that amount. Best value I have found except for being able to pick up all the brass I want at the range.

Nick_C_S

Been there. Done that.

I just pulled up a chair outside and started digging the media out of the flasholes one at a time with a pick I use for gun cleaning.

It's a real . . . Uh, it's tedious.

Bongo Boy

Sounds like you're not using a progressive press? If you were, you could simply run the brass normally...through the deprime/sizing die--and the media would be removed by the deprimer pin.

Another alternative is: stop tumbling. Ultrasonic produces far cleaner cases and clean primer pockets (in my experience)...but I don't do either any more and am not likely to clean brass ever again. But, I shoot handgun and you may be talking rifle. I think my entire reloading process became about 1000% cleaner when I stopped tumbling--no rouge and no dust and no garbage everywhere. Just water everywhere.

I simply don't clean my brass much anymore--it's a complete waste of time as near as I can tell. Off the floor, into the press. Done. Haven't done it in quite a while and haven't noticed one tiny bit of difference in anything at all, except I save a lot of pointless fuss.

The loaded ammo looks about as clean as the cleaned brass reloads to my eye. I'm not handloading precision bench rest rifle stuff--so naturally that makes a difference in your perspective.

RC20

I have a sizing tool that has a small dull shaft on it and I use that to clean them out when I got that route (mostly I tumble after if there is any build up)

Not a clue what would happen if not cleaned but not going to find out!

I bought a cheap air compressor and just blow the media out with a quick shot of air. Also removes tumbler dust.

You might want to rethink that and go with a mechanical pin, punch or the like.

The dust won't be good for you

skizzums

i use the fine walnut media from harbor freight, super cheap btw, it does not get stuck in holes at all, at one time i put nushine car wax in the media and did not let it dryenough before addng the brass and that was a mess

i personally would not want media stuck in the flash hole even if its proven to get blown out, i would just change to a finer media, btw i think over 50% of us retumble after size/deprime

The main threat from the media particles in the flash hole is that if your sizing die is used afterward and has it's decapping pin in place, the media particle can steer the pin to the side where it hits brass and breaks off. If you miss getting a particle out and are not running another decapping pin through after the second tumble, the primer can push the particle out of the flash hole for the same reason it can push powder out of a flash hole. It doesn't wait for plugging powder grains to finish burning; the primer is done much faster. For match grade rifle loads it would be best to knock the media out of flash holes because it can, as it is blown loose, alter the spark spray pattern and that may affect muzzle velocity variation a little. It's mainly a long range consideration.

rdmallory

I messed up one time and purchased some corn cob media from a pet store that was too large and ended up sticking in my .223 brass I was tumbling.
Started using a welding rod to try picking it all out and gave up and scrapped it. It had not been deprimed and a air hose would not do the trick.

Doug

jcwit

I have ruined numerous sizers from dirty or grit-embedded cases.

Yet to ruin a sizing die from sizing any kind of cases, even when using hardened steel dies used for rifle calibers, this is in 50+ years of reloading. However I do rinse my cases before sizing.

I rinse and let dry
Deprime
Resize
Tumble to polish
Reload

Mayhap I'm just 1 lucky little pup!

Last edited: