Media case sifter

rebs

Are you guys using a rotary case media separator ? Is any brand better than the others ? Do they spill any of the media, how well do they work ?

kilimanjaro

I'm using the one sold by Dillon, seems pretty good to me. All plastic cleans up well, but I use steel pins, not organic media.

You want one with a lid to keep media. water, and dust in the bins.

surveyor

I have a rcbs branded one and a dillon one.
The rcbs one I use for wet pin tumbling because it has a lid,
The dillon is used for walnut media

Pros
Rcbs :cost, covered lid
Dillon: heavy construction, pin that holds basket from turnng when loading, well designed and built hinges and latch.

Cons:
Dillon :cost, open top (I don't turn it fast, so it is a non issue to me) large footprint on bench.
Rcbs : 2 peice basket and handle, hinges and latch,

I won't go back to a collander or sift pan.
The dillon gets used the most.

Chainsaw.

Been using the el cheapo franklin arsenal tumber and media separator, works just fine. Even comes with a bucket thats cut to hold the separator while you spin it.

I bought one from Berry's at the NRA Annual Meeting. It comes with adjustable slots so it can be used either to separate media or different size cases that have been cleaned together. It's another one designed for use with a 5 gal plastic paint buckets.

Some time ago a board member had a friend who could do lead testing check out his reloading and casting areas for contamination by toxic forms of lead (not the metallic form, which is pretty passive, but the compounds stomach acid can dissolve) and found none on the benches, including no problem around the casting bench. The one place he did find high levels of toxic lead compounds were around this fellows vibratory tumbler and media separator. This is due to primer residue dust, which pretty much goes airborne either during separation or if you operated the tumbler without its lid screwed on. Bottom line, it is the dry media you want most to have a lid over during both tumbling and separating. The wet stuff splashes around, so wipe the floor afterward, but at least it isn't airborne.