Medal of Honor help...

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I heard an interview many years ago of a viet nam vet MoH recipient who held off attack doing many incredible things including firing (possibly) a howitzer or other big gun that was not really attached to the frame do to damage. I think he was the only one in the unit able to fight for a long duration of the battle.
I cannot remember his name to research it further...
I tried a generic MoH search and was bogged down with too many names and little detail to single out his story.
I know it ain't gun related so if it can be left a while for some of members to see I thank the mods in advance...

Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
He was either Army or Marines:eek: I think I heard once he was the only living MoH at the time from Nam then I think I heard he had passed. Time line was between 1990-2005 from interview to hearing of passing... or so.
Brent

pendennis

Think this might be the one?

ANDERSON, WEBSTER

Rank and organization: Sergeant First Class, U.S. Army, Battery A, 2d Battalion, 320th Field Artillery, 101st Airborne Infantry Division (Airmobile). Place and date: Tam Ky, Republic of Vietnam, 15 October 1967. Entered service at: Winnsboro, S.C. Born: 15 July 1933, Winnsboro, S.C. Citation: Sfc. Anderson (then S/Sgt.), distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action while serving as chief of section in Battery A, against a hostile force. During the early morning hours Battery A's defensive position was attacked by a determined North Vietnamese Army infantry unit supported by heavy mortar, recoilless rifle, rocket propelled grenade and automatic weapon fire. The initial enemy onslaught breached the battery defensive perimeter. Sfc. Anderson, with complete disregard for his personal safety, mounted the exposed parapet of his howitzer position and became the mainstay of the defense of the battery position. Sfc. Anderson directed devastating direct howitzer fire on the assaulting enemy while providing rifle and grenade defensive fire against enemy soldiers attempting to overrun his gun section position. While protecting his crew and directing their fire against the enemy from his exposed position, 2 enemy grenades exploded at his feet knocking him down and severely wounding him in the legs. Despite the excruciating pain and though not able to stand, Sfc. Anderson valorously propped himself on the parapet and continued to direct howitzer fire upon the closing enemy and to encourage his men to fight on. Seeing an enemy grenade land within the gun pit near a wounded member of his gun crew, Sfc. Anderson heedless of his own safety, seized the grenade and attempted to throw it over the parapet to save his men. As the grenade was thrown from the position it exploded and Sfc. Anderson was again grievously wounded. Although only partially conscious and severely wounded, Sfc. Anderson refused medical evacuation and continued to encourage his men in the defense of the position. Sfc. Anderson by his inspirational leadership, professionalism, devotion to duty and complete disregard for his welfare was able to maintain the defense of his section position and to defeat a determined attack. Sfc. Anderson's gallantry and extraordinary heroism at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty are in the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
That is the nearest to what I recall Thanks for that... I been reading MoH writeups pullin' my hair out. Not that I mind one bit learning of heroes!
Brent

Hkmp5sd

ROGERS, CHARLES CALVIN

Lieutenant Colonel, U.S . Army, 1st Battalion, 5th Artillery, 1st Infantry Division.

Citation:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Lt. Col. Rogers, Field Artillery, distinguished himself in action while serving as commanding officer, 1st Battalion, during the defense of a forward fire support base. In the early morning hours, the fire support base was subjected to a concentrated bombardment of heavy mortar, rocket and rocket propelled grenade fire. Simultaneously the position was struck by a human wave ground assault, led by sappers who breached the defensive barriers with bangalore torpedoes and penetrated the defensive perimeter. Lt. Col. Rogers with complete disregard for his safety moved through the hail of fragments from bursting enemy rounds to the embattled area. He aggressively rallied the dazed artillery crewmen to man their howitzers and he directed their fire on the assaulting enemy. Although knocked to the ground and wounded by an exploding round, Lt. Col. Rogers sprang to his feet and led a small counterattack force against an enemy element that had penetrated the howitzer positions. Although painfully wounded a second time during the assault, Lt. Col. Rogers pressed the attack killing several of the enemy and driving the remainder from the positions. Refusing medical treatment, Lt. Col. Rogers reestablished and reinforced the defensive positions. As a second human wave attack was launched against another sector of the perimeter, Lt. Col. Rogers directed artillery fire on the assaulting enemy and led a second counterattack against the charging forces. His valorous example rallied the beleaguered defenders to repulse and defeat the enemy onslaught. Lt. Col. Rogers moved from position to position through the heavy enemy fire, giving encouragement and direction to his men. At dawn the determined enemy launched a third assault against the fire base in an attempt to overrun the position. Lt. Col. Rogers moved to the threatened area and directed lethal fire on the enemy forces. Seeing a howitzer inoperative due to casualties, Lt. Col. Rogers joined the surviving members of the crew to return the howitzer to action. While directing the position defense, Lt. Col. Rogers was seriously wounded by fragments from a heavy mortar round which exploded on the parapet of the gun position. Although too severely wounded to physically lead the defenders, Lt. Col. Rogers continued to give encouragement and direction to his men in the defeating and repelling of the enemy attack. Lt. Col. Rogers' dauntless courage and heroism inspired the defenders of the fire support base to the heights of valor to defeat a determined and numerically superior enemy force. His relentless spirit of aggressiveness in action are in the highest traditions of the military service and reflects great credit upon himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

http://www.mishalov.com/Rogers.html

A complete and official catalog of the 246 Medal of Honor citations issued for combat actions during the Vietnam War

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Lookin like a bunch of guys were doin' similar heroic acts but the Sammy Davis story rings a familiar tone. Maybe a phone call to him will verify if he is the one I heard interviewed...
Brent

HiBC

Here is to you for digging,Brent.

As waas mentioned,even if you don't find exactly the person you are looking for,every Medal of Honor has a story ....

I'm not a vet,never been to war.

Without trying to say anything good about war,somehow in the cauldron of it,something is found that might rarely be found anywhere else.Like the making of a diamond.

It's not for money,or power.I think it would be wrong and naive,to say it is for Glory.That is in the telling of the story later,not in the horrible moments.

Disagree if you want,but I think it has something to do with a form of Love.

That,and a knowledge of something greater than Self.

And,maybe,just maybe,people who know life on that level bring something back home to a society.

I had the honor of knowing a great man who was a medic in Korea.He was following an assult line,tending wounded.He stepped on a mine.He lost one foot,and the lower part of the other leg.So,he crawled on,tending wounded.
,Colorado can be hard on calves being born in a storm.In the fine home he provided his family,I have seen newborn calves on the carpet in his living room,before his fireplace.

These men and women have an element formed inside them,and our nation needs what these Veterans carry.

They give all of us something to hold,and be proud of,about what is great about this country.

Too many folks don't get it.