Mechanical malfunction firing

leathermanwave

Have you ever had a gun go off from a mechanical problem. I'm talking about when you have the safety on and the gun goes off without the trigger being pulled or the safety failing and allowing the trigger to be pulled while the safety is engaged.

JohnKSa

Administrator
It can happen but it's rare. Even when it DOES happen, the owner is not automatically absolved of responsibility. A lot of time it's the result of someone abusing a firearm, improperly modifying a firearm or failing to follow the manufacturer's instructions.

A modern firearm in unmodified condition that has not been abused is VERY unlikely to fire without "help".

Just the other day I took my supposedly fixed rifle (it had been in for service) to the range and had an unpleasant experience.

It began having a problem where pulling the trigger did not release the striker assembly 100% of the time. One time after pulling the trigger and nothing happening, I turned the rifle over to look in the side to see if I had a light strike or a no strike on my hands, and just as I was inspecting it, the striker released and fired the round in the chamber. My finger was nowhere near the trigger, but fortunately I was not reaching for the bolt either.

The round went into the backstop, but I was steaming mad.

I guess you would call it a mechanical hangfire. It's by far the most dangerous malfunction I have ever encountered with small arms.

I swear US gunmaking has gone down the toilet. These slack-jawed mongrels don't give a damn if a gun works or not. It seems like they don't even bother to properly inspect a gun until it has been sent back to them with problems multiple times.

I'm holding off naming this terrible gunmaker until I get the rifle back again. If they send me another constantly jamming, unsafe piece of trash, I will make it well known, but they have only had a few chances and six months to fix it so far. Most US companies seem to need a year or more and many emergency service trips back to the factory before they have any hope of fixing a problem. That has been my experience these last few years, anyway.

Apes with tools.

Last edited:

Gbro

Just the other day I took my supposedly fixed rifle (it had been in for service) to the range and had an unpleasant experience.

What was the reason for it going in the 1st time?
Sure would like to know more about the rifle.
Hope it work out for you.

It went back to the factory the first time because they forgot to install a front sight, it had a problem with light strikes, and they forgot to fit an important part of the bolt, which led to the firing pin backing out and getting stuck in the mangled remains of its spring.

Now it's going back for the mechanical hangfire issue, the trigger problem (failure to fire), light strikes (again), failures to feed, and failures to eject.

Fun.