MecGar Ruger mags

SPEMack618

A bit of a detailed request for information here. Anyone ever user the MecGar mags for the Ruger P- series pistols? If so, any feedback?

I'm hesitant to buy them from Brownells without doing a function check but they are substantially cheaper than Ruger factory mags with additional capacity.

Thanks guys.

JDBerg

I haven't bought MecGar-branded magazines for a P-series Ruger. But I have bought them for my Sig P228 and my CZ 75B and they have always been perfect. Since there is a pretty good chance that MecGar is the OEM source for the Ruger magazines anyway, I can't imagine there would be a problem using the MecGar-branded mags for your Ruger.

Pahoo

Excellent Mags.

Many good things can be said about MecGar mags, in general. The best I can say, is that I have never had a problem with them. In fact, they generally are high up on my list of after-market mags. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

marine6680

The only Mecgar mag I have ever had issue with, was their Ruger MkIII mag.

It needed the feed lip edges smoothed up a bit.

Mecgar mags are generally considered some of the best available.

SPEMack618

P-95DC. I have a handful of factory 10 round mags and one new factory 15 round mag; but, the MecGar mags offer two additional rounds at a better price point.

I had my sister send me a few MecGar mags for my Beretta when I was deployed; but, wanted to verify before I forked over cash for a different platform.

Quentin2

I have Mec-Gar magazines that work well in my Ruger LC9s and many other pistols. All are of high quality and I trust them. So people say Mec-Gar 1911 magazines are trouble prone but I haven't noticed it.

Their Hi Power and S&W 5906 are excellent and I would expect other double stack 9mm magazines they make would be of high quality.

cavediver27

I have a few for my PK95DC and they run fine but I far prefer the factory Ruger magazines, especially the baseplate. The Mecgar base is cheap looking and feeling and entirely different from Ruger. I'd recommend buying just one at first to see if you like it or not.

b.thomas

I have two for my Ruger p95 and two for my S&W 910.......................all are ten rounders. no trouble so far! If I remember right Mec-Gar make the mags for several gun brands.
*I've also used them in my nephew's ruger p89 with out any trouble!
:D

Last edited:

Fishbed77

Not sure about the P-series pistols, but OEM SR9 mags (at least from the first few years of production) are made by Mec-Gar and are marked "made in Italy."

Mec-Gar also makes (or has made) OEM mags for Walther, Beretta, S&W, and SIG, among others.

Minorcan

I have several MecGar magazines for different pistols and in different calibers. They are great high quality mags at a reasonable price EXCEPT I bought four for my Ruger Mark III and I wasn't able to get any of them to work with it. Sounds like Marine6680 and I had a similar experience. I use MecGar mags in my 45 acp 1911, 9mm S&W Model 39-2, Ruger LS9s and even a Luger P08. They work fine in these guns.

FrankenMauser

MecGars run great in my P95DC, and also worked great in the P94 that I had for a short time.

But that's not surprising...
MecGar was the OE manufacturer of the original Ruger-marked magazines.