Mec-Gar Magazines won't drop...

Chris Phelps

I just recieved 2 Mec-Gar 16rnd Magazines for my EAA Witness 9mm. They will not drop out on their own. Is there something I can do to fix the problem, or do I just go searching for more magazines?

Sir William

I have had the same problem. I disassembled the magazines and polished the bodies. I had better results. I then checked for high spots and gently sanded them with 400 grit carburundum paper. I Flitzed them and had satisfactory results. I have had the problem with 1911, BHP and Walther Mec-Gar magazines. I had similar problems with Triple K magazines too. I polished them and they dropped free.

Chris Phelps

OK this is going to be a completely stupid question but... how do you go about polishing them? By polishing, I am assuming you mean strip the paint off them...

HSMITH

Do they fall out with the mag catch removed? If not you need to find out where they are rubbing on the gun and remove some material. I would work on the magazines and leave the gun alone, always modify the cheapest component you can.

Or send them back and buy something else.

Chris Phelps

I haven't tried it with the mag catch removed, but I do not believe that is the problem. The magazines seem to fit a little tight everywhere. They dont push up in quite as easy as the origional factory one.

Sir William

Three choices for polishing. Purchase a polishing kit at a craft store, use a wheel yourself or have a trusted poisher at a shop do it. They will remove all of the finish. Cold blue or Flitz will protect them.