Mec-Gar Magazines for Beretta 84BB?

ScottRiqui

I recently bought a Beretta 84BB (.380 ACP). It's from 1985, and only came with the 10-round magazine, although the pistol itself is designed for a double-stack 13-round magazine.

The 13-round Beretta factory mags are still available new, but they're kind of pricey (~ $50 each). I see that Mec-Gar makes a magazine for the 84 that's only about half as much, and I've heard good things about the brand in general (I think they make the OEM magazines for my Springfield EMP.)

Are the Mec-Gar magazines suitable, reliable replacements for the factory mags?

espnazi

All the Mec-Gar products I've used are top notch, and if I am not mistaken they also make the Beretta mags or they used to.

ScottRiqui

Thanks - I'll give them a try. It's just a range toy, not a carry gun, so it's not critical. I just like to have a few magazines loaded up before I go shooting to minimize downtime.

gyvel

Mec-Gar is the OEM supplier for many European brands of pistols, including, at one time, FN. In most cases, they are actually superior to OEM mags in fit, finish and function.

gyvel

CDNN usually has a variety of Beretta 84 mags available.

I just got CDNN's latest catalogue and they only list 10 round OEMS for the 84. The price isn't bad, though, if you wanted to stock up on some of those: On sale @ $14.99 each.

hemiram

I have 1 factory and two Mec-Gar mags, and they appear to be exactly the same mags, except the factory one has Beretta on it. I got two 14 round ones for $20 a pop online someplace, can't remember where. And of course, mags for the Browning BDA 380 are exactly the same, for obvious reasons.

Sevens

In most cases, they are actually superior to OEM mags in fit, finish and function.
This has been exactly my experience. They look better, they function just as well or better, they seem to be better built, they are MUCH more nicely finished and many times, they hold more ammo. Given the choice between factory included magazine or Mec-Gar for carry and defense use, I choose the Mec-Gar each time.

I hope I never run in to a Mec-Gar that makes me change my opinion. So far, this has been one of those fail safe things you can count on. Mec-Gar means high quality and better than OEM. If they are the same price or less, it's no question whatsoever.

They should cost more.

wrt81

I agree with what others have said. Mec-Gar makes some of the OEM mags for Sig Sauer too. I have 3 aftermarket Mec-Gar mags and they work great.