MD essay contest for students

pax

from http://www.sunspot.net/news/local/bal-md.essay19feb19.story?coll=bal-local-headlines

Youths, guns topic of essay contest
Grand jury hopes for awareness in schools

By Cara Nusbaum
Sun Staff
Originally published February 19, 2001

A Baltimore grand jury charged with examining youth gun violence is sponsoring an essay contest for all city public school students, in an effort to raise awareness of the problem.

The contest was one of several recommendations made by the grand jury after a circuit judge directed the panel to develop a plan for law enforcement officials and residents to curb gun violence. The jury announced its "Save Our City" contest last week.

Grand juries in Baltimore are given assignments beyond hearing evidence in criminal cases, and past panels have examined topics ranging from vocational training for prisoners to mental illness among inmates. But officials believe this is the first time a city grand jury has sponsored an essay contest for youths.

Patrice L. Boyd, a member of the jury who developed the contest idea, hopes the essays will "create awareness in the school system," as well as give the jury members a perspective on the views of the children.

"I'm thinking I'm going to get personal experiences," said Boyd, who will be judging the contest. "Maybe a classmate has been injured or killed by a gun."

The grand jury, which met from September until last month, is asking students to answer, "What is the best way to get rid of guns in Baltimore City?"

.... find the rest of the article at http://www.sunspot.net/news/local/bal-md.essay19feb19.story?coll=bal-local-headlines

My take: If you ask the wrong question, you'll get the wrong answer durn near every time.

pax

Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves. -- Eric Hoffer

Don Gwinn

Staff Emeritus
If I told my students to write an essay on how to make sure that all American adults are armed, I'd be fired. Rightfully so because it's not my place to tell those kids what to think on an issue this important, only how to arrive at an answer they can logically support and how to write about it.

I wonder what happens to a kid who turns in an essay advocating that we (gasp!) NOT get rid of all the guns in Baltimore?

dZ

return salvo:
http://www.freedomessay.org/

THE AMERICAN FREEDOM ESSAY CONTEST
Executive Summary

This contest is designed to encourage school children and their teachers to think about the American concept of freedom, and its value to them. People
who like the idea sponsor it, generally, for their own children's grade.

Basically, a cash grand prize is awarded for the best essay, and two finalists each receive a smaller cash prize. The winners and the school are presented
with parchment photo-reproductions of the Bill of Rights, and the winning student's teacher gets a framed certificate of achievement. Every student who
enters the contest receives a frameable copy of the Bill of Rights. A local parent sponsors the prizes, which typically involve only modest costs.

A distinguished panel of reviewers, assembled locally, performs the judging after the school itself selects finalists. A straightforward set of rules
describes the student entry requirements, the judging process, and the prize awards. Prizes are typically given at an awards assembly, and can be tied to
a meaningful date in the country's history. Local newspapers are encouraged to publish the winning essays, and copies can be posted on the world wide
web.

Students compete within their grade (the whole grade participates), working from a set of questions. They cover one, any combination, or all of them, in
essays ranging from 350 to 1,000 words:

What is freedom?

Is it important?

Where does freedom come from?

How free are we?

What role does government play in our freedom?

Are there threats to your individual freedom?

How can we preserve, protect and defend our freedom?

What are the long range prospects for freedom
for your family, for America, and for the planet?

Schools benefit in many ways from participating in The American Freedom Essay Contest, and you are encouraged to consider this highly educational,
strongly motivational, no-cost enhancement to the school year.