McMillen Tactical, Dakota, & Reloading

Steve McCullagh

Can anyone offer an informed opinion as to the relative merits of the McMillen Tactical Rifle vs. the Dakota Arms Longbow? (Assume the same caliber.)

Also, what is the relative cost per round of an average .50 BMG load vs. an average .300 Win Mag load? (Assuming you must purchase brass in addition to the other reloading supplies....)

Steve

Steve McCullagh

Or am I the only one who's ever wondered this?

Let me widen the scope a bit:

Does anyone have any opinion on the relative merits of the stated rifles?
:)

Steve

fal308

Staff Alumnus
I'd really like to have a Dakota Longbow but for one really minor detail...money :).
I believe that nothing comes even close to the cost reloading the 50 BMG. Though I imagine that most who do own a 50 don't reload. Haven't followed pricing lately but 50 BMG used to go for around $1 per loaded round. No idea what .300 Win Mag goes for.
Personally, I'd rather have one of the 50s more than either of the above, if for no other reason than for the heck of it and the respect and envy of my peers on the firing line. :)

Steve McCullagh

From what I can gather, the money outlay doesn't end with the rifle purchase... Apparently, brass for the .338 Lapua is going for $1.95/rd in lots of 100, and loaded ammo from Norma is in the $70-100 range for a box of 20!

Talk about making each shot count.

The Dakota website says the rifle is offered in the .338, as well as .330 Dakota mag and .300 Dakota mag. Any idea whether they will make it in more "mainstream" calibers?

Steve

fal308

Staff Alumnus
Dakota is probably a small enough outfit that maybe if you special ordered one in any of the calibers the 76 is made in, they might do it. After all the Longbow apparently is an accurized 76.

As for the $$ for the rounds, I would imagine most who opt to purchase this are reloaders or other non-casual users of fine firearms.

Norma has found a great niche market in loading non-conventional calibers. Sometimes it just isn't prudent to reload for one reason or another (above notwithstanding) and Norma and Old Western Scrounger are the only outfits that I can think of offhand that load oddball (for the U.S.) and obselete cartridges.