McGowen Rifle Barrels

shooter_john

Hello Everyone... I know guys are always curious about new barrels/ barrel makers, and I recently tried a McGowen SS Select Match 30-06 barrel for a Savage action. The barrel is standard Savage Varmint contour, 26" 1-10" twist.
I installed it a few weeks ago and finally got it out to the range on Memorial Day (what better thing to do than shoot on Memorial Day right). It took about 6 shots to get a good zero, and then I settled in to shoot my first group, and I could not be happier with the results...

Savage3006Group.jpg

I shot this group from the prone w/ bipod and squeeze bag support, in the grass/ gravel behind the 100 yd walkway on our range at work.
The rifle is a Savage 116SS action, the McGowen barrel, B&C Duramaxx stock (bedded), Nikon BM 4.5-14x42 SFMD, and Harris bipod. The load information is written on the target obviously. I'll try and get pics of the rifle up as well.

Jimro

The only experience with McGowen barrels is the 7mm Rem Mag on my buddies. It'll drop Winchester white box ammo in a half inch group all day long.

Jimro

shooter_john

Update

I recently had some different powders on hand and worked up some new loads for this rifle. I had an absolutely spectacular group going and then got all excited about and blew it. Regardless, I think that load has potential! This barrel just keeps getting better and better.

3006Groups092908-1.jpg

Slamfire

Good Shooting!

Now lets see, how many "Experts" said the 30-06 could not shoot straight and that Hornady match bullets were garbage?

shooter_john

No kidding... We all know that the 30-06 sucks because it is a long action cartridge and the case is long and skinny instead of short and fat, thereby making it inherently inaccurate!:D

I have had nothing but great luck with Hornady match bullets.