McCain attacking Obama on Chicago gun Ban

Mikeyboy

Well I know who I'm voting for. With DC moving to ban all semiauto weapons in defense of the heller decision, I love to see who this is going to pan out. We will see Obama's true intent on the RKBA.

I may not like McCain on some issue but he is definately got my vote.

http://cbs2chicago.com/politics/mccain.handgun.ban.2.757688.html

McCain: Chicago Gun Ban Infringes On Rights
Obama: 'What Works In Chicago May Not Work In Cheyenne'
Gun Rights Ruling May Change Chicago Law
ARLINGTON, Va. (CBS) ― U.S. Sen. John McCain said Thursday that the Supreme Court ruling in favor of gun ownership showed that the Chicago handgun ban has "infringed on the constitutional rights of Americans."

The presumptive Republican presidential nominee called the ruling a "landmark victory for Second Amendment freedom in the United States."

Tell us what you think of the ruling and gun control.

"For the first time in the history of our Republic, the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed that the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms was and is an individual right as intended by our Founding Fathers," McCain said in a statement.

He criticized Sen. Barack Obama for not signing a bipartisan amicus brief supporting the ruling later issued by the Supreme Court, and singled out the Chicago ban in describing what the ruling should change.

"Today's ruling in District of Columbia v. Heller makes clear that other municipalities like Chicago that have banned handguns have infringed on the constitutional rights of Americans," McCain said in the statement.

He also targeted a campaign comment by Obama that said residents of struggling small towns "get bitter, they cling to their guns or religion."

"Unlike the elitist view that believes Americans cling to guns out of bitterness, today's ruling recognizes that gun ownership is a fundamental right -- sacred, just as the right to free speech and assembly," McCain said.

In his own statement, Obama defended the Second Amendment, but also echoed the concerns of those affected by gun violence.

He said that while the Supreme Court had overturned the D.C. gun ban, "Justice Scalia himself acknowledged that this right is not absolute and subject to reasonable regulations enacted by local communities to keep their streets safe. Today's ruling, the first clear statement on this issue in 127 years, will provide much-needed guidance to local jurisdictions across the country. "

Obama said if elected president, he would uphold the rights of gun owners, but he said: "I know that what works in Chicago may not work in Cheyenne. We can work together to enact common-sense laws, like closing the gun show loophole and improving our background check system, so that guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists or criminals."

The court's 5-4 ruling strikes down the District of Columbia's 32-year-old ban on handguns as incompatible with gun rights under the Second Amendment. The decision goes further than even the Bush administration wanted, but probably leaves most firearms laws intact.

The Supreme Court ruling does not automatically invalidate the Chicago handgun ban, but opens up the possibility of an court challenge that could get it declared unconstitutional.

The court had not conclusively interpreted the Second Amendment since its ratification in 1791. The amendment reads: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The basic issue for the justices was whether the amendment protects an individual's right to own guns no matter what, or whether that right is somehow tied to service in a state militia.

In Chicago, a ban on the sale and registration of handguns has been in place since 1982. Only police officers, aldermen and a handful of others are exempt from the ban.

While other firearms can be registered, under current law, handguns cannot be registered and are considered illegal. Several suburbs have similar restrictions.

The Supreme Court ruling does not automatically invalidate the Chicago handgun ban, but opens up the possibility of an court challenge that could get it declared unconstitutional

possum

This is an issue that BHO won't be able to straddle well.

No matter what decision he makes, no matter what he says, he makes people one side or the other angry here.

If he supports the 2A, he makes his hard-core leftist supporters mad.

If he supports Chicago's ban, he makes pro-gunners mad.

If he tries to straddle and mush-mouth a non-position, he looks like a phony to both sides.

This issue will hurt Obama.

McCain doesn't care if he makes the hard left, anti-gunners mad.

possum

If he supports the 2A, he makes his hard-core leftist supporters mad.

If he supports Chicago's ban, he makes pro-gunners mad.

Heller will help Obama for the following reason:
It will embolden some people to vote for him because they feel the SC has protected the 2nd Amendment. This will steal moderate votes from McCain, and is not contingent upon wheter or not Obama supports or rebukes Heller.

The hard core left is going to vote for him anyway, who else will they vote for?

The pro-gunners are for the most part not going to vote for him anyway.

mountainclmbr

One BHO Supreme Court Justice appointee and the next decision will be 5-4 overturning Heller. The libs will rule the way they wish the Constitution read, not what it really says. They will ignore precedent (S.D.) if they want to. The left thinks the Constitution is a living, evolving document. In other words they think it doesn't mean anything and that it is trumped by their feeble minds.

possum

Where is the next gun-ban lawsuit going to land?

Chicago.

Where did BHO's political career begin?

Chicago.

For BHO to support the Heller decision, who will he have to go against?

His Most Royal and Uppity Highness Richard M. Daley.

Do you guys have any idea about the personal and political cost that results if you cross His Most Royal and Uppity Highness?

Especially if you used to be one of his little protege henchmen? You think BHO got his political power without kissing Daley's butt repeatedly?

You don't become anything in Chicago unless you pay bowing, scraping homage to His Most Royal and Uppity Highness.

Richard M. Daley ain't like no former-preacher that you can just toss aside when it becomes politically expedient to do so.

This is Richard-Freakin-M-Daley we're talking about here.

You don't publically go against Daley and pay no price.

BHO is going to get damaged by this because Chicago, his power base, is the next target in the lawsuits.

And if he tries to "artfully" straddle this issue, that will require going against Richard M. Daley in a very public manner.

possum

possum

gordon freeman, I think you are forgetting a key strategy here, that's been used by the hardcore left over and over and over.

The key is not to get the hard core lefties to vote for someone else.

The key is to take so much of the shine off of BHO that they get disillusioned, and simply don't vote.

The left has been doing that to gun owners for years and years.

They don't have to get us to vote for their candidate. They just have to get us down and depressed enough to not vote at all.

Everything that shows BHO to be "slimy politics as usual" and not some glowing Messiah of total change increases the chance that some of his supporters get disillusioned and don't vote.

possum

roy reali

The Messenger

I heard bits and pieces of McCain's attack on his opponent regarding this. The content of his message was fine, his delivery left much to be desired. I realize substance is more important then style, but that is not how many vote. I have heard more enthusiasm uttered by people talking about an upcoming root canal then I hear from the GOP nominee.

CGSteve8718

Did not McCain criticize Alito as being too conservative? And to think, if it were not for conservatives like Alito, this decision could have easily been lost.

So this whole deal with attacking BHO is just playing the politician to me. Of course McCain is better, but I'm not completely reassured that he'd appoint justices that would truly favor the conservative side.

SIGSHR

I think BHO's statement about people clinging to their guns out of bitterness
has come back to bite him.

Nemsis

All you have to do is look up his voting record in the Senate and the Illinois congress and you will see he never saw a gun control law he didn't like:barf:

Obama was in Chicago the day before the decision and was asked to clearify his position on the 2A and he said he won't speculate on the decision until he reads it so the reporter asks him again to state his views on the 2A not the DC case and he denies comment again.

nothing new he talks for an hour and says nothing