Maynard shells and others

bigbird34

Here are a few more of my collectable ammo ....

The top L.H.shell is a 32 cal teat fire,1864-1870.The projectile is in the brass.
Below,the Teat fire, is a .42 cal "Plant"Cup fire,the bullet is inside the brass,and these are tough to find.
Upper right are "Pinfires",these were developed by the french in 1823,and were used during the Civil war in a 9 shot LaPlant(sp) revolver that also housed a 20 gauge shotshell in the center of the pistol...L.to R.,12mm,44cal,9mm,32cal,and 22cal,pinfire shotshells were also manufactured.

Bottom Row,Maynard cartridges,Dr. Maynard was a GREAT DENTIST,who sold his gun plans to manufactures and collected the royalties,ammo and guns were just a hobbie....he made one of the first reloadable cartridges,the brass(copper) cylinder is soldered to the very wide base(the wide bass captured the gases,big issue back then)...L.R. 22 C.F,35-30 1865 Percussion,35-30 1873 C.F.,40-40 1873 C.F..50 maynard 1865 percussion,.64 maynard 1873 shot shell....????
and Far R.H.Bottom corner ...The Billingshurst-Requa Battery ,The first machine gun used in the civil war .52 cal,percussion fired battery,25 barrels pointed at the enemy and fired by a flash in the pan,all at once ....

History can be fun,If they would teach this in school,kids would understand that this country was kept free by firearms,and is still free because of our ingenuity .....and our love for firearms....enjoy BB34

img src=
DSCF2547.jpg

pesta2

Smith and Wesson had the patented on bored through cylinders in revolvers. So other companies making a revolver wanted to get around this patent. The Teat fire is one example of it. The teat was like a rime fire holding the fulminate. The teat cartridge was inserted into the front of the cylinder where just the small teat projected out the back that the hammer stuck. The flare on the front of the cartridge would hold it in place against the face of the cylinder and against the forcing come when fired.

bigbird34

Teat fire...cup fire

Teat fire....at one time I think, maybe colt had a pretty strong patent,on rimfires,so to make a new rimfire cartridge was pretty hard to manufature w/o a patent infringement......so the Teat fire was made ...it was different because the primer was not all around the rim ,but just in the tapered end (the teat could be round or of flattened brass (two differnt ways of making the brass .....) Now If my history is correct ,the shooter would load the cylinder ,teat end in first,to the back of the cylinder,the projectile is in the brass case,and the mouth is flared to hold it in the cylinder,once all the rounds were fired,removing the spent brass was not as easy as it would appear,because the brass expanded well into the cylinder,so I believe the shooter may have been able to swap out cylinders ,.....

The cup fire was the same as the teat fire,BUT the ole Black powder revolvers were machined to have the nipples removed on the cylinder and then the cartridges were loaded just like the teat fire ,the hammer now struck(extended hammer firing pin) the cup(where the primer was kept) discharging the round ,the same loading and unloading issues were present in the cup fire....

Pin fires are just that, the hammer strikes the pin and the pin ignites the primer charge .....the only issue with this is the cartridge could only go in the gun/cylinder ONE WAY.....having a pocket full of these bouncing around was not a good idea either .....

ALL these improvments were brought on during the civil war ......I have only a small collection of cartridges used during this time in history.....remember everyone from around the world was selling guns to whom ever would by them.....kinda just like today !

BTW There's four to five hundered dollars worth of old ammo in this one collection....

Enjoy BB34