Maybe EMP made outside USA

bakon

Was looking around and found this auction for an EMP by Springfield Armory.
Really like the EMP and wanted a 1911 for CC and being a .40 cal was a bonus to me. We use 40 at work so rounds for practice and qualify are free. Anyways the auction is laid out nice with a bunch of quality pictures. the last couple look to be on the barrell and say "made in Italy by MEC-GAR for Springfield Armory"

Please tell me it isn't so...

Link to site
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=152725562

Attachments

• pix588031187.jpg
    pix588031187.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 47
  • pix588031125.jpg
    pix588031125.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 40
  • pix588030000.jpg
    pix588030000.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 36

bakon

that makes sense, I can see the mag spring now.

How about the rest of the pistol? Can't believe they would make the entire pistol but not the easy part of magazine.

KyJim

How about the rest of the pistol? Can't believe they would make the entire pistol but not the easy part of magazine.
I don't know about the EMP, but Springfield's regular 1911 frames are made in Brazil by Imbel and shipped here for finishing. MecGar makes OEM mags for a lot of firearms manufacturers. I'm not even sure how many parts that Springfield actually makes. Maybe somebody else here does.

bakon

KyJim- you helped me a few months ago with some Colt Mustang carrying advise. Since then I have been looking at these and wonder if they really are 1911 type pistol. The Mustang may look like one, but I am told they are not really operated like one.

I also want to stick to USA made but the smallest of Colt 1911 dont offer a lefty safety, so EMP does, and is a 40 cal.
Need small for concealed carry. Dont want a 5 inch 4 pound 1911.

Like to know they are USA made but no definate answer and their site doesn't give that detail.

rockycat

c/p

springer contracts out an american foundry for the emp forgings. couldn't tell you the name of it though, i'm sure springer's cust serv could give you the name if you really wanted to know.