MAYBE a fix for AR spring chatter.

5whiskey

We all know the sound. Some even like the sound.

The sproing gives it charecter

Or so I've heard.

After a couple of minutes of careful inspection I finally figured out where most of the grit feel and sound in the action comes from. Ok, well I already knew about the sound but today I realized that the bolt carrier makes very little contact and most of the feel in the action is from the spring. Yeah I should have known it already but I've never given it much thought. I looked in the tube and saw waves and ripples in there, the dreaded machine marks AGAIN! I'm sure this doesn't help with the spring chatter.

I started pondering the deep question in life... "how do I take the spring chatter out?". I thought of goobing it up with grease, but I hate greasing something that doesn't have to be. Stuff sticks to everything and attracts way too much dust. I feel its a temporary solution, so I sought something more. After much deep thought I decided that if there was a buffer spring, well, "buffer" that wasn't metal then that may would help silence it. After all most of the chatter is the metal on metal contact. As I was looking at various random things trying to get an idea of what to use I saw it... SAND PAPER!!! It's pretty stiff and the friction should keep it from sliding with the spring, as the spring pushes it out into place against the buffer tube. Sooo... I cut a strip exactly the length of the buffer tube, and just wide enough to have 1/4" overlap when rolled up inside. Of course the grit faces out away from the spring, giving the spring a nice smooth non-metallic surface to slide against.

Final result? NO SPRING CHATTER!!! Action quiet and smooth as anything now. I turned and tried it every way possible to ensure the buffer wouldn't catch on the sand paper, it stays put as the spring holds it tight against the buffer tube. I haven't fired it yet but I plan on trying it out tomorrow so I'll come back and let everyone know if there's any meltdown or malfunction.

Csspecs

Does the spring have a bearing at the end? I know most airsofters that use AEGs have bearings or brass washers to take the SPROING out of their gearbox. The SPROING is likely coming from the spring rotating inside the tube, when you compress a spring it wants to turn.

The other tricks that could be used would be using thin brass tubing or plastic, that would allow the spring to move quietly.

I think the sandpaper is going to fail quickly do to the speed the bolt opens.

hodaka

Yeah, and as that sandpaper grit turns loose of the paper and works itself into the action it will undoubtedly smooth out the carrier to upper receiver fit as well. Might even give you a trigger job as well.:D

The nice thing about the sproing is that when the bolt locks back it makes a different sound letting you know the mag is empty (or that the bolt has locked back).

5whiskey

yeah I've thought of thin plastic tubing, and will probably go that route when I find some.

grit from the paper shouldn't break free and put 1/10th the grit in the action as what Iraqi sand does, especially as the grit doesn't move against anything and is held firmly in place. If anything was rubbing agaisnt the grit I would respectfully agree.

I don't think the bearing would help anymore, it was definatly the spring moving against the buffer tube as it was compressing and not the rotation at the end of the spring causing the chatter. In any event the trick works phenominaly, there is very little sound in the action now compared to before. Not to mention placing a bearing would short stroke the action as the buffer would bottom on it.

I do count this as a temporary fix. I'm gonna look around for some form of plastic to line it with. Until then I plan on shooting the thing just to try it out tomorrow and we'll see from there.

I guess my main reason for this thread is to see if anyone else had thought of putting a non-metallic sleeve in the buffer tube to silence the spring?

5whiskey

I may be wrong on this one, but I always thought I could feel my M4 empty through weight displacement. That could also translate into a slightly differant sound but most important is the "feel" part. I don't know for sure though, I've never fired one that didn't have spring chatter.

Jason_G

Could you cut a paper towel roll to fit? I've shot AR's and know what you mean about the spring chatter, but I've never taken one down to know what the dimensions of the buffer tube are. Isn't it about an inch or so in diameter?

Jason

Gewehr98

Seems like an awful lot of work to me...

When all I did to fix the "SPROING" in my Colt was put a dab of Lubriplate on the buffer spring. ;)

MMcfpd

Another great divide in the human experience. As witnessed above, the AR-15 SPROING! bothers some to the point they want to remedy it while others seem to embrace its part in the experience of the rifle. I think I'd miss it.

5whiskey

It's not much work, took about 2 minutes

Granted I really am looking for something besides sandpaper but that will do until I happen to walk by something else.

Yeah some do like it. I don't but I never noticed as much in any M16 or M4 as with this Armalite. I think it's just the machine marks in the buffer tube that really make it irritating, as you can look down the tube and see all kinds of waves and ripples. Armalites aren't bad rifles but I've seen some things in mine that I don't like.

Scorch

all I did to fix the "SPROING" in my Colt was put a dab of Lubriplate on the buffer spring
That's way too easy, Gewehr98.
You can buy .008" thick UHMW tape and do what you're trying to do, or if you have the $ just buy a hydraulic buffer assembly from Olympic Arms.

Gewehr98

Yeah, the lubriplate fix was pretty darned easy.

My CATM instructor/armorer taught me the trick. I agree, though. I think next time I'll just ditch the gun, and keep buying and selling ARs until I find one that doesn't make the annoying sound. :D

WhyteP38

I used two coats of MagSlick dry lube on the spring and blasted two coats of MagSlick on the interior of the tube. I did this to an M4-style collapsible stock. The sproing is basically gone, but I can still tell by the sound of the rifle that the mag is empty. The sound is hard to describe. It's as if the sound of the bolt cycling is cut short, which it is since bolt stop holds the bolt from closing.

If you do this to a collapsible stock, remember that there is a drain hole in the end of the tube. I found it easy to keep the MagSlick from dripping out by putting the stock into position #5 and then stuffing a cotton ball, followed by a small wad of toilet paper, into the space between the end of the tube and the outside edge of the stock. Let the whole contraption sit for about 15 minutes, then remove the cotton/TP wadding and put everything back together.

AR10FAN

Sproing?

I don't understand the problem. A little lube is all that's needed. And the spoing means nothing compared to the BANG.

bennnn

I do count this as a temporary fix. I'm gonna look around for some form of plastic to line it with. Until then I plan on shooting the thing just to try it out tomorrow and we'll see from there.

Dude, you put SANDPAPER inside the tube of your AR?

grit from the paper shouldn't break free and put 1/10th the grit in the action as what Iraqi sand does,

I totally dissagree, that roll of sand paper will move around enough to start tearing up the inside of the tube, and that will just be the beginning.... If you're comparing this to firing in a sandy or dusty enviroment, you're a little off base on that. What you're talking about is sand from OUTSIDE the closed system of the rifle... Sure it can get in,,, but,,,, You put sand inside yours.........

I always thought I could feel my M4 empty through weight displacement.
Even if it was down to one or two rounds?
I never noticed as much in any M16 or M4 as with this Armalite.
Since you're saying you have military experiance with these rifles,

Ask your armorer if he thinks it's cool to put sandpaper in the tube.....

USMCG_HMX1

kentucky smith said:
Next thing you'll want to make the M1 quit going "ping" and the Ak going "clack-clack-clack"

I wonder if this will also fix the knocking noise in the GM diesel engines, too.

Kris