Maybe a broken record question re: optics

WWWJD

Hey all,
Just recently got a Ruger SR556 upper with the Troy flip-up front and rear sight. I'm debating on what to do for an optic; I think I want red dot. A few years ago, I accidentally received a Vortex PST 1-4; it was a nice piece, but at the time I didn't have the money or an excuse to keep it, and based on what I saw in the reticle, I don't think that particular $700 optic is my speed. So..

1) For ranges out to 300 yards, should I try to find something with the smallest dot possible? 1moa with holdovers (just saw the burris reticle in another thread). I can ring the 20" gong at 300 yards with my open sights, but the front sight pin totally covers the target; I'm kinda guessing. ;) Smaller front sight pin?

2) For co-witness with my Troy's, are there any optics/mounts that I should avoid? I'd be very interested in a QD mount as well.

3) Can I have my cake and eat it to? I'd like to pull this off sub $500. Maybe I just do a QD mounted rifle scope. IDK. :p

Thanks in advance fellers,

Last edited:

jmr40

I find a 1-4X scope as the best all around option. Dots work well in decent light. But in extremely bright light can get washed out, in really poor light you can see the dot, but not the target. I find a true 1X scope to be just as fast and far more accurate, on 4X it offers enough magnification for those 300+ yard shots that a dot can't come close on.

Lots of options under $500, including some 1-4X's with an illuminated reticle which might be a good option for you.

I personally use VX-1's, they offer 3 different reticles.

http://swfa.com/VX-1-C4147.aspx

Palmetto-Pride

I will second pretty much what jmr40 said, for close quarters inside 100yds a red dot is hard to beat, but for any precision past 100yds you need some magnification. If you do get a red dot you can't beat the Aimpoint PRO for around $400 on the brightest setting it will not get washed out even at high noon on the brightest day and it can also be turned down at dark enough to see a target oh and it can be left on for around 3yrs and the battery will still be good.

ronl

I think the Vortex 1-4 PST's can now be bought for around $470 or so. I do like the versatility of the 1-4 scopes. They can cover a variety of situations well. Only drawback is the added weight, but if it balances well on your platform, then it's not bad at all. I like the Horus Vision because of the excellent reticule as it allows better precision than most 1-4's.

AK103K

I shoot my 4 moa Aimpoint ML2's out to 200 yards with no problems. If you dial the intensity down a little, you can get a little more precision out of them. There are 2 moa dots available as well.

Mine are mounted on either LaRue, GG&G, or ARMS lever mounts, and cowitness with the iron sights, and can also be removed and replaced at will, without loss of zero.

I also have a Leupold 1.5x5 mounted on an ARMS lever mount on my one Armalite. It offers better long range precision, and has its place, but its not a 24 hour sight like the dots, nor is it as quick and easy to shoot with.

I use the rifle with the scope mounted for varmint control mostly. Works great in that capacity, as the M15A4(T) is set up for precision. I also have a spare, pre zeroed Aimpoint for it. Just a matter of popping one off, and the other on, should the need arise.

The other AR's with the dots on them, just seem more "useable" overall though.

WWWJD

Thanks for the feedback, y'all. I'll add that I've got a 20" free floated upper with Vortex Diamondback on it, shoots really well. For that reason, I think I'm leaning towards a holographic or red dot for this one.