May be headed back to 7mm Mag....

I have a Savage 110 Switchback (heavy bolt, Medium barrel, Ported) in a 6.5 PRC. Have owned the gun for a few moons and only recently found ammo, but only two boxes. Brass is nowhere to be found. Frustrated and the more I read... the more I wanted to go back to my roots of ELR shooting....

Yep... did it.. and on a budget. Hope she is a shooter.

Savage Model 110 Switchback, 7mm Mag, Medium barrel, Ported, 24"...

Up until this week, I couldn't find one available anywhere...and then the Sportsman Warehouse received two of them. Snagged one for $519, with the 20MOA Rail.

Then to glass... I really wanted the Vortex Venom 5-25x56. They only had the display model available, so I "dickered" them down on price and got a smoking deal. I am having to wait for the 34mm rings I had to order online.

The gun has a 1-9.5" twist, so I will limited on shooting the long bullets, but hoping to stabilize 180's at the elevation of my range, 5k feet.

Excited for ice, snow.... winter to end and allow me to go shoot. I will report how she shoots, with pics of the targets over the next 30-90 days.

fAWMPq1.jpg

std7mag

Should make a decent donor action.
At least it would to me, for my ELR plan.
I was thinking more towards a 30-32" barrel to shoot the 197s.
And true ELR your gonna want WAY more than just 20 MOA for the base.
Just less than 1/2 of your scopes total travel adjustment for the base.
Then something able to add in 100+ MOA.

ELR for the 7mm Rem Mag is in the 3,000 yard plus range.

Congrats on the new gun purchase!
As Stag says, your among friends. You don't need to justify a new purchase to us. Lol

Do you want to sell the prc?

Very likely.... will eventually sell it.

I want to hang on to it for a while longer and see if the ammo/brass prices come down.

A search this morning on AmmoSeek, shows only one supplier with ammo and it is priced at $149 a box. That's $8 a shot, after shipping and handling.

With the PRC, one simply has to reload. But when primers and brass are rare as diamonds, it's hard to do.

sako2

I don't think that will happen any time soon. I feel for the people wanting to get into reloading and shooting these days. I saw gunwerks ammo today on gunbroker fro $8.00 a round. I got mine before the crazyness started. I'm loading it for less than a $1.00

sako2

That's a good price. The powders to look for rl26,Ramshot magnum, retumbo,h1000. All hard to find. I did try magpro couldn't get the es and sd where i wanted them. Imr 7828 will work along with rl 22,23,25.

sako2

BTW if you don't hot rod it and size your cases right they last pretty good. I have hornady brass with 20 firings on them.