May as well pick mathmaticians brains...

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Since we got the how high...
I am curious as to the theoretical maximum distance the projectile would travel. Not factoring lethality. Just max range fired from a "howitzer" type high angle. I am curious in the .30-30. .30-06 and 12 gauge rifled slug.... So who has the fresh batteries in their calculator...
Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I looked at it and allz I could was:eek: My brain is already sore. Where do I type in the "angle of the dangle" info...
Brent

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
You getting a screen that looks like this?

attachment.php

It calculates best distance on its own. You don't need to tell it the angle. Just the bullet and muzzle velocity.:)

Attachments

• calc.jpg
    calc.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 244

Sriracha

Hmmm. I wonder why the initial angle is always 30 degrees, regardless of other inputs. Is it actually optimizing the angle?

kraigwy

I studied this for the Machine Gun schools I ran for the national guard. There is little differance in the max. range of the bullet past 29 degrees. After 35 degrees the range starts to decrease.

This information is handy in teaching indirect fire with Machine Guns. Not so much as to how far, but one needs to know the angle of departure and angle of fall to get to unseen targets.

An example is the test conducted using the Swiss 174 grn bullet at 2600 ft.
At 20 Degrees Max range was 4097
30 max range 4423
34 max range 4455
35 max range 4456
40 max range 4413

(from Hatchers Notebook-MG Hatcher)

I am surprised the angle is that low. I knew it would be less than 45*, but I was surprised it was that low. I guess I should keep to mortar firing with my fletchette loads.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I think the odd angle has to do with the bullet maintaining its original "point of aim" so to speak. As it flies it doesn't change angles like an arrow or artillery fletchette. Just one more reason why it doesn't follow the "expected" trajectory most of us would picture in our heads.