Maxxtech 9mm

Bucksnort1

Recently, on a shooting trip, I collected several hundred 9mm cases. I gave them to a friend who will be loading for 9mm. He removed primers and found the Maxxtech primers difficult to remove. Also, there are signs of too much pressure. Some cases are split from top to bottom while others are have bulging primers. I don't load for 9mm so I'm not aware of any problems with this brand.

Fortunately there are only a handful of the Maxxtech primers.

Any comments?

Shadow9mm

Hard to say. Primers being hard to remove could be crimped primers. What pressure signs were observed? Obviously the split cases need to be tossed (or recycled). It is possible someone reloaded them and reloaded the, too hot if they are range pic up. Was the headstamp crisp and clear or starting to look mashed? If it were me I would not neccissarily avoid Maxxtech brass, howerver any of the ones you picked up that day should be scrapped IMHO.

I have 2 headstamps I dont generally reload. CBC and SVT. I am saving them, however when I run 9mm I have found them to be overly soft and have problems sizing, and not want to hold bullets well. I am hoping to use them eventually, but will probably have to significantly adjust my die setup to use them. I also use blazer brass, which many dont seem to like. I have had no issues with it.

I do check for stepped cases, those get tossed in my recycle bin right away.

MaxxTech brand is owned by the Russian Tula ammunition company but is not made in Russia. It's made in B&H (Bosnia and Herzegovina). I don't know that this is good or bad, but it certainly is intended to be low-cost fodder. The same company that imports it has the TulAmmo brand now, too, though I have no idea how much of that is getting through.

jetinteriorguy

I sort my cases like this, Winchester for my carbine, RP, FC, Blazer, Speer, and PMC for range brass. All other cases go into emergency only except Maxxtec, they go in the recycling bin.