maverick vs mossberg

Doyle

New or old? On older ones, the Mavericks only had one slide bar - newer Mavericks have two slide bars just like the Mossbergs.

The one thing I still believe is different is in the amount of metal vs plastic parts within the trigger group. I know the safety is different (one is crossbolt and the other is tang).

T. O'Heir

A Maverick M88 isa Mossberg M500. Difference is the stock material and the fit and finish. Both have tang safeties. Select models of the 500 can have an adjustable trigger too.

Doyle

A Maverick M88 isa Mossberg M500. Difference is the stock material and the fit and finish. Both have tang safeties.

Not so. Some, but not all parts interchange. Maverick 88's DO have cross-bolt safeties (unless they have changed to tang in the last year and I just haven't seen a new one).

Excited they may have changed it to a tang, but I can't find any pictures of them with tang safeties.

The "Maverick" over-unders do have tang safeties.

Corona

I got a Mav 88 a few months ago, mostly to shoot the little clays with a few buds. Got the 26 inch barrel with the modified choke. Nice shooting rig, really.

I did look at the Mossberg 500 (I believe). Virtually the same gun with a few mostly cosmetic differences. The Mossy is a little heavier and it does have the tang safety. The Mav has the cross bolt safety. Lighter and probably more felt recoil.

Both the Mossy and the Mav use the same barrels.

But I picked up the Mav for $179. Another $79 got me the 18 inch barrel for HD.

Actually, nice little package for well less than the price of the Mossberg.

Movian

Which barrel is that, that you got for $79 ? And where did you get it from?

I have I think a 24" and would like to get something a little shorted for home defense as its a CQE

Corona

Movian...eBay or Amazon. Frankly I did a lot of scouring around. Price of the Mav 88 was the same for either the 26" barrel with choke, the 24" barrel or the 18" barrel. I bought the gun with the 26" since the 18" was cheaper to single order.

THe Gunbroker price is pretty good. Actually, you might find a slightly used one for less.

Have shot a few clays with the Mav. Actually, I've shot AT a number of clays! My buds have been both helpful and patient with me. And with the smooth barrel 18", I have blasted a few targets. Way too much fun.

I have an 88 in 12g with the 24 inch barrel. Will likely order an 18 inch for it at some point.
Any of you changed out the stock? If so what did you get and how do you like it? I'm about 5'8" and find the length of pull to be a little on the long side. Looking to shorten it up a bit.

TxGun

As noted, the safety is different and the action bars attach to the forearm differently (making changing the forearm on the Maverick more of a chore). Beyond that, they are the same gun using the same parts. Many parts on both the Mossberg 500 and the Maverick 88 are made in Mexico, then QC'ed and assembled in Eagle Pass, Texas. The Maverick is no more "Mexican" than the Mossberg 500. The 500 simply has a couple more bells and whistles and a couple more options available. Also, all Mossberg warranty work is done in Eagle Pass, Texas. I've toured the factory and seen all of this 1st hand. Their QC is excellent and both shotguns are good values.

INMY01TA

The reciever on the 500 is also drilled and tapped for additional sites. Imo, Mavericks the way to go if you want to use a pistol grip. Otherwise get the 500.

The reciever on the 500 is also drilled and tapped for additional sites. Imo, Mavericks the way to go if you want to use a pistol grip. Otherwise get the 500.

If by pistol grip stock you mean something like on a AR15, don't you have things backwards? With a pistol grip like that you have to remove your hand from the grip to flip the tang safety of a 500, while the Maverick has a cross bar safety.

INMY01TA

Dreaming100Straight said:
If by pistol grip stock you mean something like on a AR15, don't you have things backwards? With a pistol grip like that you have to remove your hand from the grip to flip the tang safety of a 500, while the Maverick has a cross bar safety.
Read what I wrote again. That's what I said. Mavericks better for pistol grip as you don't have to remove your hand to operate the safety.