Maverick or Mossberg

OlympicArmsFan

Ok more questions on 12ga shotguns. I have another thread going and thought this would be a good place to start this one.

The visit to my local dealer today didnt help me make up my mind. This was just another trip that left me with more questions.

I did get to look at Mossbergs but no Remingtons. I dont think he keeps Rems in stock. The Mossbergs just a 500 was as high if not higher then a 590 off the net.

Buds Gun Shop seems to me to have some of the best prices and some great choices.

I know Mavericks are Mossbergs but are they really?

Are Mavericks made to hold up to the same standards as Mossberg 500's?

What is the differnce in Mavericks over Mossbergs?

I was told they have a single action bar but I see they have double action bar.

Is this true?

I thank everyone for help and input on this and you guys are really giving me much needed help. Im getting a lot of advice on many boards and you guys are helping me.

So here is the list of guns that Im looking at and please everyone look on there and show me something better. My budget is 300-350. I maybe be able to get 23-30 bucks more added onto that.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/37_871

Thanks everyone for the help and sorry for so many questions. I feel like I need a book shotgun for Dummies.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Originally they were single action bar. All I have seen for 4 years are dual bar as a 500. The only mechanical difference is the cross bolt safety button on the trigger guard of the maverick instead of the more complex top of tang safety of the 500.
Brent

rantingredneck

IIRC, doesn't the maverick come with a one piece forend? Meaning the forend and the action slide are made/molded together and you have to replace the action slide with one from a 500 to change the forend out?

I don't have a maverick personally, but this is what I've read, I think.

I have a couple of Mossbergs (500/835). Good guns..........

rantingredneck

Olympicarmsfan,

You know my preferences from the other thread. Given your options and specifications I still stand behind my original recommendation.

Looking at your list, though I would recommend sticking with something made by either Mossberg or Remington. You'll have options down the road for changing barrel lengths for other purposes and different stock options to fit the gun to you and your needs. Not so much with the other brands.......

Having said that though, when you get your new gun, leave the ATI and Tacstar catalogs alone, K? :D. It's become somewhat of a running joke in the shotgun forum when someone posts pictures of their pimped out PGO shotgun for some to drool over and some of the rest of us to shake our heads at in dismay.........

Good luck in your search,

RR

Last edited:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Some 500 models had the integral fore end as well. My Maverick had forestock screw and was able to be taken apart.

JerseyDrez

I can speak for my Mav 88. Great shotgun, and Im glad I didnt spend the extra money on a 500 or a 590. The 88 performs just as well for a lower price tag.

The best thing is most accessories and parts are interchangeable between the 2, as in the Maverick and 500.

Go with the Maverick if this is for HD. Youll save money that you can put to training or excessive amounts of range ammo, and you can always buy/swap barrels later on if you wanna do some clay shooting or whatever.

OlympicArmsFan

The Mavericks shotguns I was looking at where at buds gun shop and the price was just great and I have been told a lot of if not all parts interchange.

This will be a HD gun and one that I will keep simple. I do want it to use as field gun if I would ever have to.

The 88's, 500, 590 and 870s look great at buds gun shop in price and Im working on saving some more funds as well to maybe make a push to a 590.

Still doing re-search and just keeping my eye out for a good deal and what not.

Thanks everyone

XD Gunner

Buds Gun Shop seems to me to have some of the best prices and some great choices.

I love buds, within driving distance, the ONLY place to buy guns.

The Maverick can be compared to a 500, the way an 870 Express can be compared to a 870 Wingmaster. It's basically the same thing, with a cheaper finish, less costly(plastic) non-critical parts, and a price tag to match. However, I own a Maverick, and coincidentally, a Wingmaster. I like everything about the Remington better than the Mossberg, and better than any mossberg I have shot/owned. That being said, my old 500 and 835 Shot and functioned much better than my maverick, In fact, the Maverick will only cycle one shell, and the other will fall out of the bottom (where the load port is) The Maverick shoots good, it just has a cycling problem.

Personally, I would look around for a used Police Riot trade in 870. I feel more comfortable with a 870, and I know it will work everytime. I think Bud's has a few trade in's in the Lower $200 area.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
The lowest cost maverick is to buy a combo or the field gun and buy another barrel in 18 inch later.

The "security" guns are selling for more than the field models yet the 28 inch accu-choke barrel is far more than the 18 inch barrel.
Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
XD, My Maverick finish was nearly identical to my 500 and juniors 870 express barrel looks like a piece of "black pipe" water pipe... absolutely no comparison on my Mav and his Rem.
Brent

XD Gunner

XD, My Maverick finish was nearly identical to my 500 and juniors 870 express barrel looks like a piece of "black pipe" water pipe... absolutely no comparison on my Mav and his Rem.
Brent

My Maverick has a very crappy, very light bluing on it, I sneezed on it once and the finish started to fade. It doesn't even begin to compare to the 500 or the Express. My old express (no longer own it) had rather nice, but plain furniture, and the finish was similar to what Tennifer or Melonite feels like. It was utilitarian, but I didn't think it was ugly.

I love the 870 Tactical, in both fit, and finish, but they are pretty costly for just a single purpose HD gun.

My brother has a 590, and I like it, as far as it goes, I just have a bad taste in my mouth I guess from my 88.

JerseyDrez

Ive never had any problems with my Mav. The finish is nice, and it cycles smooth. I never had any issues cycling either, only when I first bought it and took it to the range right after, the elevator starting jamming up a bit. It was just from the factory grease though, took it home, cleaned and lubed it, and its worked perfect since then.

All of these shotguns will work well for HD (Moss, Rem, Ben etc), its basically what price you wanna spend.

I will agree with an above poster that you can get good-conditioned Rem 870 police trade-ins on Buds.

wnycollector

I have a maverick 88 20" 8 shot 12ga. My brother and father-in-law have older wood stocked mossberg 500's with deer barrels. They all shoot the same with the same ammo type of ammo. Other than the safety position (which I like better on the maverick!) there are really zero differences. Buy the maverick and spend the extra $$$ on ammo.

+1 on the buying the combo (28" and 18" barrel) maverick.

TxGun

I rather have any 870 Wingmaster than any Mossberg. But that may be an unfair comparison when you consider the price tags. That said, after having traded into 3 diffferent 870 Expresses the past several years, I rather have any Mossberg, including the Maverick, than another Express. I kept thinking the Express must be a good gun (it's nominally an 870, after all), and that I must be getting "monday" guns (rough, crap finish). But after trading away the 3 guns pretty quickly...2 + boot for Wingmasters, BTW...I'm through with the Express line. It's a shame to have to refer to them as 870s. JMO.

XD Gunner

All this talk leads me to believe that mine may have a damaged component then. It never fails, every 3rd round will fall out the loading port instead of going to battery.

INMY01TA

No problems with my Maverick. Wouldn't trade it for any other. Bought a second 28' field barrell w/accu choke.
100_0274.jpg

Jseime

XD Gunner I would say that you have a broken part in your shotgun somewhere.

I have a 500 that never ever fails me... I can drop the plug out for shooting pigeons and rattle off six rounds as fast as I can shuck and shoot and with the plug in it handles 3 inch goose loads like a dream.

It is not the prettiest or most expensive gun but I shoot it well and I have had very good luck with it so I will keep it around even when I get that Beretta Semi-auto for whacking geese.

OlympicArmsFan

What is the major differnce in Maverick 88s and Mossberg 500s?

I think I may have just sold some old collector cards that I had as a kid if so I will be at the price of the 590 at buds gun shop.

So tell me now whats the major differnces of the 590 vs the 500?

I have been into shooting and buying guns now for a few years (3) and feel good about going out and making a purchase of a firearm. I also feel better about getting real world knowledge not a sells person opinion on my buy.

You guys have given me a lot of good info and one that I am taking to heart.

Thanks everyone and keep the info coming.