Maverick/Mossburg HS12?

Sharkbite

Anybody have any experience with dbl barrel "tactical" shoties?

Im thinking about picking up one of the HS12's at my LGS for a pretty good price

g.willikers

The side by side double barrel shotguns were plenty good enough for riding shotgun on stage coaches.
It's always more about the shooter than the gun anyways.
Probably not as useful as a multi round repeater, but if you know how to effectively use one, why not?

kozak6

The overall length is fairly short, except it has extractors instead of ejectors, which is a poor decision for a defense shotgun.

Good quality pump action shotguns can be had so cheaply that the HS12 would have to be an absolute screaming deal.

pathdoc

If this is the one I think it is, it's the short-barrelled derivation of a gun I bought for dabbling in trap. That being the case, there is a pendulum safety built in which will block the triggers if the barrels are pointed more than 45 degrees down, to reduce the risk of the user blowing their foot off, which they never removed in the changeover from long to short barrel.

Unfortunately it also means that you can't blow the head off any bad guy standing at the bottom of a sufficiently steep staircase.

The extractors make sense when the long barrelled version is being used as a trap or hunting gun, to enable the user to keep his/her expended hulls for reloading or litter avoidance. But I completely agree that they are a liability in a weapon requiring rapid reloading under duress, with the owner's life being the price of failure.

Sharkbite

I went ahead and picked it up. I have quite a few students that show up for classes with dbl guns. So, this will primarily be a range training tool. Not a fighting shotgun.

It does have the pendulum safety, but the muzzle has to be pretty depressed before it comes into play. I guess if i end up on a roof, shooting down on Zombies (errr, i mean Doves in attack mode) that safety feature might be a problem.

Ive tried it with the gun rolled 90degrees and it still fires. So, shooting under cars and such is not a problem. Down every flight of stairs ive been able to test (dry), it goes click every time....

From a roof, or shipboard ladder well...not so great. Thank Goodness THOSE days are behind me:D