Maverick 88 barrel off center? (pics)

nowayitskevin

Hello tfl

I was practicing my mount the other day and I noticed something that is now troubling me. I'm not sure if I'm crazy, but I think my barrel is leaning toward the right. Can you see it too? It's a Maverick 88, btw.

1.jpg

I know it's kinda dark and difficult to tell. Here's some help with the crafty Microsoft Paint.

2.jpg

3.png
4.png

These are the best out of about 10 pictures that I've taken tonight. I'll try to get an above profile of the barrel. I've looked as much as I can and came to the conclusion that the barrel leans slightly to the right in relation to the receiver and magazine tube. I've double checked and triple checked to make sure that I have installed the barrel correctly. I already checked with Mossberg and they're asking me to send either the entire gun or just the barrel in for inspection. What should I expect? This is my first firearm and I don't know what I would be charged (if any) besides shipping. Please let me know if you have any idea, as this worries me in regards to the integrity of the longevity of the shotgun.

Thanks for all your help!

Goatwhiskers

IMO it really doesn't matter. You're looking at alignment of front sight with centerline of the receiver. The front sight of a shotgun is only there to guide your eye, shotguns are pointed, not aimed like a rifle. Goatwhiskers

SoilworK777

You might try getting an aftermarket bead that attaches with 2 part epoxy. There might be enough play between it and the factory bead that you can install it off center to the original, but in line where you want it.

roadrash

Your MS paint photos make it appear much worse than it appears to be in reality,judging by your top unmolested photo.
As another poster already mentioned it really does not matter and I doubt I would lose to much sleep over it.
Hvae you tried loosening the mag cap and torqueing clockwise on the barrel while tightening?

TheKlawMan

Have you thought of just showing it to a local gunsmith and asking for an estimate. Not someone in a gun shop but a gunsmith. He may be familiar with the problem. If it is complex and expensive, you may know if you should send the barrel or the entire gun. He may be able to fix it for less than the cost of shipping it to Mossberg.

You have a Maverick and I know nothning about one. I know next to nothing about a Mossberg and little about my 870, but I know the barrel of my 870 can be rotated very slightly when tightening down the barrel lug cap. It also looks as though your entire gun may be slightly rotated to the right.

Wait for Dave McC or hogdogs to chime in.

nowayitskevin

KnightsofCydonia: It's as tight as it can get.

roadrash: the pictures are an understatement. When I mount and place my cheek on the stock, the lean is very evident from both eyes, which is why I put the lines along the slots on top of my receiver. Even when I look at the barrel by itself off the gun, the connector to the magazine tube seems a bit off as well, so that may be the culprit.

TheKlawMan: that sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for all the replies.

zippy13

It looks like the barrel is leaning to the right to me, too. The gun should shoot where it's pointed; but, there may be an issue if the bolt face isn't perpendicular to the bore.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
First, get the most experienced shooter you can find to shoot it. Patterning will also help.

Then if it's off, you can correct it.