Mauser v. Mauser

shooter_john

Hey guys... I'm in need of some help.
A while back I got a steal on a M96 Swede Mauser. I love the rifle, and love the 6.5x55 chambering even more. The problem is that for me to really use this rifle, I want it scoped, and I truly hate to do that to it since it is all matching with a perfect bore. In the end I hesitantly took it to my smith and told him no hurry on drilling and tapping, and that brings me to the connundrum I'm in today...

Since it has been waiting in line at his shop, a Mauser collector has eyed the Swede and wants to make a trade. He's offering a drilled and tapped Yugo in exchange for my Swede. I think that I'd be getting the short of the stick on that deal, but I don't really want to hack up my the Swede either. But I know that if I get the Yugo from him I'm going to have to tie up a lot of $$$ (that I don't have right now) on a barrel and other work. Ultimately I would like to have a mid- long range rifle out of this whole deal, and I want it 6.5 something for sure.

And of course my other option is to do nothing at all, or just try and sell the Swede out right.

What say you guys... What should I do?

snipecatcher

Keep the Swede, and start looking for another Swede that has already been drilled and tapped. Your current Swedish Mauser is worth a good bit more than his drilled and tapped Yugo, and it will never be worth less than it is today, if it is in original condition. Check out Simpson Ltd, they usually have some Swedish sporting rifles that were made that way, although their prices are a bit high.
-Dan

taylorce1

Simple, keep your Mauser 96 and save your money to buy a 6.5X55 built by CZ. That way you would have two Mausers in 6.5.

shooter_john

Thanks for the replies guys...
The more I read and think about it, the more I'm leaning towards just keeping the M96 and MAYBE putting a LER mount on it so that I can still shoot it and enjoy it. It's definitely a little long for a scout rifle, but it could still make a hunt or three.

Smokey Joe

Sweet Swede...

Shooter John--I'm with Snipe Catcher on this one. Keep the pristine 96 Swede pristine. They aren't making them any more. Find another 96 that has aready been Bubba-ized, i.e. D & T'd.

You'll find a good candidate at almost any gun show you attend. Often, they are to be had for not too much $$. My latest pawn shop rescue was a 96 with 'scope bases in place, modified bolt handle, but unaltered safety. Stock already butchered. Put a red-dot sight on the bases; it doesn't extend back to the safety. Worked for me.

Last edited:

hooligan1

It's your rifle right??? Scope it!! Send it to a competent smith, pay his price put nice bases and rings on it and buy the best optics you can afford.... These other fellas would have you trade it for something, well just something other than the nice rifle you have now...I can see their point but hell it's your rifle, And this is America make your own decision on your rifle as you'r the one living with it..You could make yours a one in a million!!! Happy shootin dude!

Thanks for coming!:cool:

csmsss

Shouldn't be too hard to find a Yugo that's already been drilled and tapped AND is in good shootable condition. I'd turn down the trade offer, keep the Swede as is and find a different Yugo that hasn't had its barrel shot out to make a shooter out of.

madcratebuilder

He's offering a drilled and tapped Yugo in exchange for my Swede. I think that I'd be getting the short of the stick on that deal,

Way short on that trade. The Swede is worth a bit more than the Yugo, probably a $100+ more.

It would be a shame to D&T a matched Swede, sell it and find one already D&Ted. You could use a scout scope with the forward mount. Some claim good results from them.

shooter_john

I've decided that I am definitely keeping my Swede. It will either stay as is or possibly get a forward 'scout' mount, I haven't decided just yet. Can anyone give me some guidance on how to adjust the sights (windage) on the Swede?

I've also learned that I have a cousin who has a Swede laying around that he might want to sell. Historically, he doesn't baby any of his guns, so that one may be the perfect donor for a project gun if he will name me a price.

44 AMP

Staff
After taking a quick look at my M96 (1917 date), windage adjustment would be by carfefully drifting the FRONT sight.

I recommend making sure its the rifle and not you (or the ammo) before doing it, however.

Swedes were "zeroed" at 300meters, with Swede 160gr FMJ RN ammo. They will shoot high at 100, no matter what you do, until you replace the front sight blade with a different height.

Also, in those days, soldiers were taught to aim for the enemy's belt buckle. That way, if their range estimate was a little off, they would still make a critical hit.

Yes, its a shame to drill & tap a fine matching swede, they aren't common anymore. But it's your rifle, so do as you please. It only makes those left pristine (like mine) worth more to a collector!:D

Longdayjake

I have a buddy that has a swede that has a broken rear sight. I bet you he would be willing to sell it to you for about $100. He never uses it and he is selling all his guns for a good discount. Let me know if your are interested. I am not sure but if memory serves me right, the rifle has already been sporterized so you won't have to worry about ruining anything.

Dougw47

swedes

Academy had the '96's on sale about 5 years ago...I bought 5, had one sporterized (son has it now) and in a time of crazy, sold/traded the rest.

Now the Caddo Mills Shop has good '96's for $450 and up! Yugo's are $200.

I never regretted keeping any firearm, but I still cry about some I sold!!!

Jo6pak

Sweet little Swedes

I feel it's a mortal sin to sporterize any vintage military rifle that is still servicable, especially one with matching numbers

I own both a 1896 in original condition and a M96 Sporter that is my mainstay deer rifle. I love shooting them both.

My advice
Keep your eye out for a "rough" swede at gunshops and shows. Check the bore and action for obvious signs of wear and damage. Don't be too concerned with the muzzle, since you will likely cut the barrle short and recrown it anyway.
It's been more than 15 years since I built mine, but I think most of my supplies came from Brownell's catalog.
M96Sporter.jpg

I installed a 30 degree safety, to facilitate a low-mount scope.
A Butler Creek synthetic stock.
I had the barrel shortened and recrowned.