Mauser Stocks

Huntzalittle

I'm looking at a Mauser Stock on Ebay that I would like to buy. The description says it is for a WW2 German 98K, however, the gun I would like to put it on is a Turkish Mauser. Could someone give me some information on how well this would fit?
I don't mind doing a little milling, bedding or filling but don't want a major project. If it is a major project, I'd rather pass on it and wait for another opportunity. :)

Scorch

You need to determine what model your Turkish Mauser is. If it is a small-ring, it will not fit properly. If it is a large-ring action, it will fit.

Harry Bonar

turk mauser

Sir:
The 98K won't work due to the Turkish mauser having a flange which retains the rear of the upper handguard. Other than that, I think the bbl is smaller than the 98K.
However, there isn't anything wrong with the 38 Turk - I've built 9.3s and 416 Taylors on them and have found them to be very good actions.
Brownells is innacurate about the supposed 11 1/2 bbl thread - it's a machining error (the bbl thread is different on the Turk 38 being .980X12 thd.)
The std 98 is usually 1.100X12.
Boyd makes fine inexpensive stocks but you'll wait months for one.
Turks are described by one of our arms experts as being fit for a truck rifle:mad: but that's not so - the actions are first rate and one with a good bore is a good rifle.
Harry B.

Harry Bonar

turk

Sir:
I forgot to tell you that after the flange is turned off the "ring" portion is very close to the same length as a 98K or VZ24. You can use the regular 98 or VZ24 semi-inleted stocks.
What I do with all Mausers is to remove the bbl, put a mandrel through the action and turn that flange off (Turk only) and then continue and just clean up the front face of the action. You will find a bit of clean - up really makes bbl fitting much better!
Hope you have fun with the project. Of couirse always have your headspace checked - Turk ammo is supposed to be loaded to the 50,000 CUP pressure level!
Harry B.

Huntzalittle

Mr. Bonar

Thank you for those words of encouragement. I am very happy with my Turk 38 since I sent it to Oregon to be rebarreled to a .257 Roberts. The gunsmith did a fine job and has removed the retainer flange of which you describe.
It is just that I don't think the original sporterized stock I have does his work justice and would like to put something a little "classier" on the gun.
The ebay offering is a Boyd's stock that I feel would add a lot of character to the gun. But being one of those retired fellas on a fixed income, I need to choose wisely that which is in my price range. I just wanted to get your opinions if this stock will fit without major modifications.
Thanks, again, Mr. Bonar!:)

Tom2

If you shoot it with one of those 98k military stocks with the metal cup buttplate, you will probably find yourself soon wishing for a nice ergonomical sporting stock with a softer butt. Those things kill me. Some other metal plate surps aren't as bad, maybe the MN butt kicks me hard too. Things like Swedes or Garands or SMLE buttplates don't seem to sting as much to me. Maybe a slip on pad would make it more tolerable. I want to pain the target not myself.

Huntzalittle

Tom, I agree

Several years ago the metal butt plate was replaced by a nice waffle-rubber butt pad on this rifle. (I still have a few old mil-sup with them and you don't do a lot of shooting before you wish for a pad:))
Also, having been rebarreled to a .257 Roberts makes the recoil much more tolerable.
Anyway... that nice stock I was watching on E-bay sold this morning at a price higher than I was willing to pay. Someone got a nice stock. But I still have an old one, and even though uglier than my ex-mother-in-Law, its still functional!:D

James K

Member In Memoriam
Just FWIW, the Turks never made a Mauser rifle, they bought them from Europe. When they rebuilt/reconfigured them, they removed the original receiver ring markings and put on their own, but they didn't make the actions.

Turkey used both standard 98 rifles as well as the ones Harry mentions. Those "small ring 98s" as they are called, were ex-German 98AZ carbines, bought by Turkey after WWI when the Germans went to the "large ring" 98 across the board.

Jim