Mauser Rifles

Barn Dog

I went to a shop today and saw two very nice 8mm Mausers but must admit I am not familiar with them at all - they just caught my eye due to their very fine condition. Markings are as follows:

BERLIN S/N 1369 DEUTSCHE WAFFER-UND

and the other is:

MOD 98 S/N 7120 BNZ 43 (this one is like new)

Any idea on history and especially what either might be worth is appreciated. I would like to get one of them. Thanks.

Barn Dog, I am no expert on Mauser rifles, but the second one you mention is I guess a Mauser 98K manufactured in 1943 by Steyr-Daimler-Purch, Styer. There is a lot of information available on the net concerning milsurp rifles. I own the second rifle you mentioned. Here are a couple links to get you started:

http://milsurpshooter.net/

http://talk.shooters.com/room_27/topics.cfm

Of course in going through these sites, you will see links to other related sites. Welcome to the fold. One thing about milsurp rifles, it is considered the height of ignorance to "BUBBAIZE" these rifles. Leave them as is, they are an historical item.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Some more details on the DWM rifle might help. The key to any real collector value is originality. Otherwise, they are shooters and fine for deer hunting and maybe worth not much.

Jim

If you don't mind, what do the want for that second k98 ? While these rifles don't cost a whole lot, they are terrific rifles. Most exhibit old world craftmanship lacking today. The Mauser 98 action is one of the strongest ever made. The design is still in use today. Check out a Ruger 77, it is pretty much identical. The kick for me is to be watching the History Channel or a movie and think to myself, I have one of those. In fact, I got on this kick after watching the movie, Enemy at the Gates. I decided I had to have a K98 and a Mosin Nagant 91/30. Things kind of got away from me after that; the Enfields, the MN 44s, the Finn M39s............ One more thing, the prices of these milsurp rifles varies considerably. It is easily possible to buy some of these for less than $100, but, ones in pristine condition sell for considerably more. Some things to look for; Does it have importer marks ? On my K98 they are located near the end of the barrel on the bottom. This shows who imported the rifle. If it doesn't have import marks, it is worth a little more; it would likely be a "bring home" from the war. Do the serial numbers match ? My K98 has serial numbers on the barrel, the action, the bolt body, the cocking piece, and on the magazine floorplate. Matching is obviously worth more. Are the Nazi markings still there ? The vast majority have had the original Nazi markings ground off after the war. Original markings are worth more, again probably a "bring home" gun. Check to make sure that the rifle is chambered for 8mm Mauser, some of these 98s were bought up after the war and rechambered to .308.

Then there are the accessories; Do the rifles have front sight hoods ? Do they have the cleaning rod under the barrel ? Do they have a sling ? Is the bore shiny and sharp (most old military was corrosive) ? Are the magazine floor plates stamped or milled ? the buttplate ? How about bayonet etc.

Harley Nolden

Staff In Memoriam
Barn Dog:
Here's a little history on the 98 Mauser

MAUSER

Model: 98
Designer: Peter & Paul Mauser
Year of Mfg: 1898-1925
Caliber: 7.92mm (8mm) rimmed
Action: Turnbolt
Length:
Barrel Length: 30.67" rifle
21.65" Carbine
15.75" Short Carbine
Grooves:
M-Velocity:

The M98 was the first highly successful Mauser action designed for a powerful smokeless powder, rimless military cartridge. It was also the first Mauser action designed to load the magazine with a charger, stripper clip,. This action set the general pattern for other Mauser turnbolt rifle actions which followed, with changes and improvements that made Mauser actions a standard throughout the world.

A great many of these rifles were made in the Belgian government arsenal in Liege. Many were also made in Birmingham, England, at a plant set up and operated by Belgian refugees. An American firm, Hopkins & Allen, obtained a contract and made many of these rifles for Belgium prior to WWI.

Mauser action is the basis of design for most every turnbolt rifle in the world today. This includes the military and the civilian model rifles of todays manufacture. During the era most all countries used the Mauser design, to include the United States, who bought patent rights to design the M1903 Springfield.

These actions (M1898) are still being manufactured today and there are still some of the old original actions being sold on the civilian market. Many gunsmiths prefer this action, new or
old, to build custom rifles in varing calibers to include shotguns.

After WWII restrictions placed on the Germans to, manufacture military rifles. However, they could manufacture sporting rifles and shotguns. This prompted Germany to rebarrel and convert the M1898 Mauser rifle to a two shot shotgun. This shotgun was produced in, 12, 16, and 20 gauge. These shotguns were eventually imported into the US and sold on the open market.
I have personally owned one of these shotguns and found it to make and excellent slug gun.hjn

Barn Dog

444, don't know yet what the shop will be asking. Evidently some guy cleaned out his rifle collection and the shop has everything on consignment. Some of the guys from work and I got there as they came in and none were priced yet. I guess they had about a dozen rifles in all, Mausers, Japanese all different sorts and countries. The bore on the 98 looked new (as did the stock) and it had the cleaning rod but no sling. The guy in the shop said they might have everything priced on Thu or Fri. I will head back and recheck for markings etc and will try to let you know on the price if you are interested.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Harley's statement that the Mauser is the basis for almost all turnbolt sporting rifles is true. That is one reason we need to watch the politicians who say they only want to ban military type arms. They don't mean just "assault rifles"; they define military arms as any weapon whose design was ever used by any military force at any time. Even matchlocks would be banned, which is what they want.

Jim

Barn Dog

444, I went back to the shop today and they were asking $469.00. It has no import markings at all and the guy behind the counter said the rifle was never issued. Not sure exactly what he means by that. It does have some very small German/Nazi markings that look like ss or zz and a small emblem or crest of some sort next to that. Also has the number 20 stamped on the front area where the sling would attach. All serial numbers match except I could not find one on the bolt. I have to pass at $469 but if anyone else is interested I can provide the shop name and phone etc. Barn.

That is probably not a bad price for a rifle in the condition you say it is. Like I said, I have the same rifle, but mine is far from what you describe. Mine has very little finish on the metal, import marks, no front sight hood or cleaning rod (which isn't bad, they didn't all have those features). I think I paid $80 for mine. That price is all little out of my relm also. I love these old military rifles for what they are, but price does have something to do with it.

Barn Dog

I agree, thats a bit rich for me too right now especially since my wife just delivered me a new baby boy last week - gotta buy a lot of diapers. By the way, I saw what appears to be unissued Mausers for sale at $295 at www.mitchellsales.com with all accessories included. They may not be the same thing as mentioned here but they look good to me. Have a great weekend. Barn.