Mauser Rifle

scorpion_tyr

A local pawn shop has a Mauser rifle of some type or copy for sale at a pretty nice price, I think this is partly because they have it labled as a Mosin Nagant, which it is obviously not.

So I know nothing of Mausers except that they're popular, and there are many different makers and copies.

The tag on the rifle said it's chambered for 7.65mm and it appeared to be in decent shape, no modern upgrades or anything. I didn't spend very much time looking at it, but I didn't see any markings on it or anything.

Can anyone tell me what markings or features to look for to figure out more about the rifle, or things to check to make sure it's in good shape? Also where should I check for matching serial numbers at?

DnPRK

Mausers were sold to dozens of different countries in several different calibers. The ones in 7.65x53 were sold to Belgium and Argentina. Military Mausers are typically marked on top of the front receiver ring. Some nations put serial numbers on the right side of the front receiver ring. Others had the manufacturer's name on the left side of the receiver.

The bolt handle should be stamped with a serial number that matches the serial on the receiver.

Jim Watson

Does it have a protruding magazine that could lead a store clerk to mistake it for a M-N? If so it is an 1891 which is of very fine quality but not as strong a design as the later guns. Fine for the standard 7.65 load, though.

If it has a flush magazine, it is a 1909 which is a very fine version of the 1898 Mauser with all the improvements of that model and some more besides.

scorpion_tyr

No, no protruding magazines, it strongly resembles the 98k, but there was what looked like an extra square cutout on the left side of the stock.

I've never really looked at Mausers before but from what I've seen they're all $200+, and this one has the price to match the Mosin Nagant tag.

To give you a hint as to how much the people at this pawn shop know about guns, the salesperson told me it was a pellet gun just becuae it was on the same row as the pellet and bb guns.

scorpion_tyr

I'm also searching on google to find out more, I do remember the stock had the hand grooves on the forend much similar to a MN. Also I see a few variants with the sling swivels on bottom and on the side of the stock, this one had it on the side.