Mauser....Build or not.

VMUTH

My closest friend gifted me a Mauser 4 years ago. (He told me he was tired of looking at me drool every time he brought it out to hunt.) I'm pretty sure it's a 98. It's a 7mm rem mag. He passed away a year later in an accident. I've taken it out maybe 6 times in the last 3 years. I've really been wanting to build it and make some changes in the last 2 years. The last hunt we went on, he wasn't able to take a boar. I'm wanting to build it and take a boar with it. If he was still here, I know he'd tell me to stop yappin about it and just do it.

I'd like to build it if it makes sense. Looking to get some input from some Mauser pros. In it's stock form, can a 7mm mag Mauser reach out to 400-500 yards and consistently hit a 6 inch target?

It's current state: hogue over molded stock, 26" pencil barrel, a 1-2 pound stock trigger, has a floor plate but it doesn't open, drilled and tapped and has a scope.

Ideal build: E R Shaw 22" or 24" medium contour/varmint barrel, walnut varmint or modern/classic stock (can't seem to find decently priced walnut stock without cheek piece), detachable box magazine kit.

Realistic build: 22"-24" Shaw barrel, B&C varmint stock

Budget is a consideration. Trying to keep this below 1k.

Can a Mauser in 7mm mag achieve consistent 6" targets at 400-500 yards?

Any reliable and reasonably priced DBM kits for Mauser?

Any reasonably priced walnut varmint or modern classic stocks without cheek piece?

Gunsmith costs?

Appreciate your contributions.

10-96

I'm not familiar with the 7Rem Mag- but I may have a line on some possible stock options- http://www.rifle-stocks.com/factory_seconds.htm. And, if you can't find one without the cheek piece- they're really not that hard to take down- even a cheap hand plane from Harbor Freight and various grades of sandpaper will have you ready to finish a roughed out stock in pretty short order.

44 AMP

Staff
Can a Mauser in 7mm mag achieve consistent 6" targets at 400-500 yards?

The answer is an absolute yes. And no.

Essentially there is plenty of potential, but whether or not it can actually do it depends on the accuracy of the specific individual rifle and ammo combination, AND the ability of the shooter.

In theory, a rifle that shoots 2MOA (2 inch group at 100yds) will shoot a 10" group at 500yds. And a 10" group could miss a 6" target.

SO, you want a rifle & ammo combination that does 1.5MOA or better, for the mechanical accuracy desired. Whether or not the rifle you have can do that is one question. The other question is can YOU do it with the rifle you have?

And that's the one that really matters most.

Mobuck

Can we clarify what a "7mm mag Mauser" is? Is this a Mauser chambered for 7mm Rem Mag? A 7mm Mauser (7X57)is a completely different cartridge and might not be a "Mauser" rifle at all..
The type/brand of rifle has little to do with how well the cartridge performs but it does have some bearing on the capability of the rifle to deliver the bullet accurately enough to make hits at 400-500 yards.
I've shot a lot of stuff with a 7mm Rem mag over the years. Mine has nailed coyotes consistently at 400 yards and killed deer further.
Next question is why you feel the rifle needs a "build" if it's already chambered in one of the more popular big game calibers(7MM Rem mag)?

Rob62

Some random thoughts. If you want to consistently work in the 400-500 yard realm I would go with a 26” heavy barrel. Ballistics will be slightly better than with a longer barrel and there is the increased steadiness (accuracy) due to its weight. Decreased barrel heating will also come into play if you shoot a lot. Most folks also feel there are a better barrel harmonics with a heavier barrel. If you have to have either a 22” or 24” length barrel I would get the 24”.

Regardless of exact chambering or caliber - *consistantly* getting hits on 6" targets at those ranges with all but a top dollar custom gun, using a standard weight 22-24" barrel is all but unheard of by me. And this is meant more of a general comment, I read you want to get a heavy barrel.

As to accuracy in general. I think a 7mm Remington Magnum cartridge has the potential to consistently achieve 6” groups at 500 yards. If you are asking about a 7x57mm Mauser cartridge, while certainly possible, it is not known to consistently achieve this kind of accuracy at those ranges.

Regards,

Rob

Last edited: