Mauser '98

SPEMack618

If this needs to be in the C&R thread, I apologize.

With Christmas coming, it is getting time for my yearly firearms present to myself.

I've just about settled on a Mauser '98 variant of some sort.

However, I have no clue as to where to begin.

I know that I want a military rifle in a military caliber( so non-sporterized).

Any help would bhe greatly appreciated.

gmarr

I was thinking the same thing...so I found a Yugo Mauser that was/is in excellent shape. Love the 8mm caliber. Going to break it in on some hogs after the Christmas break.

Buzzcook

There are a bunch of Mausers to pick from. The Yugoslavian
Mausers seem to have the best average quality for their price.

Not sure about any Model 98 being chambered in anything except 8mm. None that haven't been re-chambered that is.

On second thought, the Argentine Mauser is a 98 variant and that's 7.65 iirc.

Consider the Swede instead of the 98.

ccSnoopycc

The Swede and the Argentine Mausers are fantastic guns. I have shot both and have had great results with both. The Swede still has ammo plentifull and is easy to find. The Argentines ammo is not so easy to find but that shouldnt be a problem for reloaders. I have never owned a german model 98 and/or the Spanish Mauser but I have read fantastic things about both of them also.

Last edited:

madcratebuilder

Mitchell's Mausers are way over priced, double what they are worth.

The Yugo M48's, 24/47, 24/52C, M1924 and MOD98/48 can be found at reasonable prices. Many are in like new or rearsenaled condition.

The VZ24 is another nice Mauser.

Yugo's
Yugos01.jpg

Yugo capture MOD98/48
pix3309944890.jpg

This M1924 was very crusty looking when I found it. Cleaning the cosmoline from the furniture and action I found this. All parts are nuber matched.
M192407.jpg

I had to do a stock repair at the rear receiver bolt.

repair03.jpg

Finished. M1924 in original matched stock and matching bayonet.
M192408.jpg

M192412.jpg

meatgrinder42

For the Model 98 style action you have lots of choices. The 1909 Argentine, M48, 24/47, Kar98, Swede 96, etc.

I would look for a 24/47 personally if you were chasing an 8mm, if you wanted a different caliber, go for the Swede. Both very well made guns, I've heard of, but never seen, of M48s getting the bolts set back in the receiver from soft metal.

mapsjanhere

The Swedish 96 is not a 98 style action, it's cock on closing like the 91 - 95 series. I personally would stay away from Mitchell Mausers, they charge "collector" prices for weapons that no collector will touch due to the extensive refinishing. If you want a refinished WWII Mauser, look for the Russian capture guns, they are arsenal refinished in a historically documented process for potential reuse, not gussied up to fake condition. Big 5 locally sells Yugo Mausers for about $300, that's about the best you can do to get a real 98 in great condition nowadays.

bumnote

I've got an FN MOdel 1950 in 30-06, they're the only Mauser originally chambered for the 30-06, and it's an extremely nice rifle. Very smooth action. The Swedish Mausers, while not a 98 action, are works of art. Incredibly well made and the 6.5x55 round is fantastic for target shooting and hunting. They're my favorite Mauser and and favorite rifle round.
J&G Sales has arsenal refurbished 24/47's for $219. I've bought from them before and they're a good company to do business with.

tahoe2

Most Yugo's M24/47 or M48/M48a are excellent choice as are M98/K98k and easily had for $200-$300 bucks. VZ24's are also very good, 1909 Argentine's are getting harder to find in good shape and command a higher price when found. Check gunbroker.com or other auction sites. Samcoglobal.com or Sarcointl.com plenty of them still out there, those Swedes are always a good choice also. I do have a Mitchell's M48a, a quality rifle, but overpriced as stated above. When I finally got all the cosmo out of the barrel of my M24/47 it looked brand new inside !!

top to bottom

Yugo M24/47,
German K98k,
Mitchell's Yugo M48a

Attachments

• guns 058.jpg
    guns 058.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

tobnpr

Swede M96's are best shooters (well, it is a 6.5...), but are getting harder to find for a reasonable price in good condition.
Have a mauser 24/47 coming next week. From what I read, most of these re-arsenaled guns being sold now have never been issued and are unfired since their refurbs in 47+.

mapsjanhere

No doubt on that, especially if you can find one with the original peep sights. Very popular in Europe for "original ordinance weapon" competitions.

TX Hunter

Spemac

Its great that these guys are showing you all these variants of the Mauser, because you will probably end up owning more than one.:)

JerryNY

I don't think you can go wrong with a Mauser in general, I own three, the most affordable was a Turkish 8mm, which are some of the most affordable. The shop I purchased it from had several clean examples with matching serials in the $200.00 range. Just a suggestion.

thedaddycat

I love shooting my 6.5X55 M 96 Swedish Mauser (1905) and 7X57 M95 Chilean Mauser (1895). Both are cock on closing, very nice rifles with smooth actions.

7 mm top, 6.5 mm bottom

100_6532.jpg

One day I will get a 8 mm Mauser to go with these two...

"No doubt on that, especially if you can find one with the original peep sights. Very popular in Europe for "original ordinance weapon" competitions. "

My Mausers both have rear V notch sights forward of the receiver. The Swede does have two holes tapped in the rear receiver ring. Perhaps this is where a peep sight would be mounted? I had never heard of a rear peep for it before.

Last edited: