mauser 98 or yugo 48

headroom

Hey everybody. i am looking at buying either one of the surplus mauser k98's or one of the yugo m48s. I am looking mostly for something to beat around with but have also considered possibly sporterizing it if i feel so inclined.
Which would be the better choice? From what i understand the yugo's have better steel but the action is also a bit shorter which would be fine for a 308 but i think finding another stock that wouldn't require alot of fitting may be a little hard to find.

by the way, the new format:barf:

Tropical Z

Unless you feel a need to own a Mauser,i'd definitely go with the m-48.Its going to be in much nicer condition($150 Unissued).;)

zouave

I agree with Tropical Z.

If you are thinking of sporterizing Century sells "M48 Bosnian Rifle With Cutdown Stock, Cal. 8mm" for $79.87.

Zouave

Tropical Z

If your'e not stuck on 8mm, Centerfire systems has a "sporterized" M-44 in 7.62x54r in very good condition(85% + blueing) with new synthetic stock,for $79.97.The m-44 is pretty sweet!
(Centerfire-1-800-950-1231);)

DougB

Per Zouave: "Unless you feel a need to own a Mauser,i'd definitely go with the m-48."

The M48 IS a Mauser (Yugoslavian - very similar to the K98 except a slightly shorter action, and a little more wood on top the barrel I believe). I wonder if you are thinking of a Mosin-Nagant M44 or some other rifle. Anyway, I have all of the rifles mentioned - though I'm by no means an expert on any of them. I like them all, but I prefer the Mauser action (K98 or M48) to the Mosin-Nagant. I think you can get nicer M48s for less money than a K98, but it may be a little easier to sporterize the K98 because I believe parts (sporter stocks, etc.) are more common for these. But if you want to leave it in original condition, or know you can get what you want for the M48, I'd go that route. Or just get one of each - they are all great buys and lots of fun.

Doug

hksigwalther

Uh, I think what Tropical Z was actually meaning was if you really want a 100% made/stamped/proofed Mauser, go with the 98. If you want a Mauser action made by someone else to shoot with, go with the 48.

Poodleshooter

Those M48's are darn fun. I shot my brother-in-laws M48A yesterday. Hits on our 300yd gong were not a problem, even with Turkish surplus ammo. I'm still trying to convince myself that I can't afford one right now.

James K

Member In Memoriam
All the so-called M48's I have seen (except for Vz24's) ARE K98k's, rebuilt to a greater or lesser extent. I suspect even the "new" M48A's are really rehabbed and reblued K98k's. I have seen some with ex-German marks in places where they were not immediately visible.

Jim

swampyMO

Jim,

I've seen the re-worked K98-K's you're talking about, but the one I got is definitely a new build (new circa 1946, that is). No "rub-out" markings anywhere. I stripped mine down completely to degrease it and found only new stampings.

Trust me, it's new..... not a re-build.

Go HERE: http://www.swampworks.com/SwampysStuff-1.html

and see the one I got..

Swampy

DougB

Jim,

I believe my M48s are new, not rebuilt K98s. I also have a K98 that was an original German rifle, but had the Nazi markings ground off and was stampted with the Yugoslavian crest. But my M48s have slightly shorter actions, and they have wood over the barrel between the action and the rear sight.

Doug