Mauser 98 bolt stiff

Hoping this is nothing major, but the bolt on my Mauser 98 is hard to open with the cocking mechanism, but as long as you don't release the firing pin after it's been cocked, the bolt cycles fine. I've read it could be a dirty cocking cam surface, I'm going to pull the bolt apart tomorrow if I think about it. Anything else I should be looking for?

44 AMP

Staff
The 98 Mauser cocks on opening. The nose of the cocking piece slides on the cam in the bolt body when the bolt handle is raised. This takes more effort than when the bolt is already cocked.

Check the cam surfaces for dirt, (foreign material) roughness, damage, and lubrication.

If you're not already familiar with the mechanism, study some instructions before disassembly.

With the firing pin in the fired position, lifting the bolt handle cams the pin back against the pressure of the firing pin spring until the pin moves far enough back to be caught and held by the sear. This always takes more effort than working the bolt when its already cocked. Its normal, and is the way the gun is supposed to work.

It seems "stiff" because you are compressing the firing pin spring.

I pulled the bolt out, but not apart. The cocking ramp does look dry and slightly scored in one spot, so for now squirted a bit of lubricant on it, replaced the bolt, and while still stiff, it does open a bit smoother. I want to assemble the right cleaning tools and brush up on the bolt disassembly instructions before I dive in no turning back.

Paul B.

Is your rifle scoped? My expensive ,280 Rem custom was a bear to open. The gunsmith that built ir didn't think anything was wrong and that it was in my head. One day for spits and grins I use a Sharpee pen and blackened the outer edges of the locking jug and tried the bolt in the gun. Sure enough one of the screws in the scope mount was a hair too long. A few swipes with a file and the rifle is as slick as a custom gun should be. I still haven't figured out why the gunsmith miss that simple fix? He's been retired for a while and I know he was deeply into his 70s when he built the gun.
Paul B.

44 AMP

Staff
Is your 98 a milsurp in issue configuration or sporterized or a commercial production rifle??

Does it have the 3 position wing type safety or something else??

If it has the wing, removing the firing pin assembly from the bolt body is simple and easy. With the bolt cocked, put the wing in the middle (straight up) position. Depress the small locking button on the front face of the bolt shroud (left side, viewed from the rear) and the firing pin assembly will unscrew easily.

With the firing pin assembly removed you can clean the bolt cam and the inside of the bolt.

You can also clean the outside of the firing pin assembly. Often this is all that needs doing.

If you need to disassemble the firing pin assembly, it is not difficult, BUT it does require a degree of hand strength. The military stocks have a feature to assist with this, civilian commercial guns usually do not.

radom

My bet is not used to 98 action deal. they are hard to cock on open and then drop the pin they open easy.

Webleymkv

First and foremost, "Mauser 98" doesn't really tell us the whole story as that's a somewhat generic term that can mean a lot of different things. Was this gun originally built as a military rifle or was it built from the ground up as a sporting rifle? Is it an actual German Mauser-built rifle or was it a "Mauser 98 pattern" rifle built under license in one of any number of countries (Czech VZ-24, Yugo M -48, etc.)? Was your rifle made during peace time or during the height of one of the two world wars or countless smaller ones? The Mauser 98 was the most prolific rifle design of the late 19th and early 20th century and was adopted, adapted, licensed, and copied by dozens, if not hundreds, of different countries for 50+ years with varying degrees of fit, finish, and quality.

Due to its design, the bolt handle of a Mauser 98 pattern rifle will be more difficult to lift when the striker is not cocked. This is because it is a "cock on opening" design and lifting the bolt handle cams the striker back into the cocked position. If the striker is already cocked, the bolt handle will be easier to lift because you don't have to compress the striker spring as you do when the striker is in the fired position. Also, in my experience, Mausers and other cock-on-opening military rifles such as Mosin-Nagants and Carcanos often have stiffer bolts than commercial cock-on-opening rifles like a Winchester Model 70 or Remington 700. This is likely due to the fact that the camming surfaces in military rifles often aren't as smoothly polished as those of commercial rifles and military rifles often have stiffer striker springs to ensure reliability with military ammunition that often has harder primers.

That being said, the bolt of a Mauser 98 in good working order should not be so stiff that it is difficult for an adult of average strength to manipulate it. If the bolt is excessively difficult to open, this could be a sign of problems like excessive headspace, dried oil, grease, or other debris in the locking recesses and/or chamber, or dried oil/grease/debris inside the bolt itself. If the bolt of your rifle is excessively stiff or difficult to manipulate and the serial number of the bolt (if it has one) matches the rest of the rifle, I would start by giving the entire rifle but particularly the bolt and chamber a thorough cleaning. If the problem persists after that, you should probably take the rifle to a competent gunsmith to have it checked for headspace and other issues.