Mauser 1910

Goatwhiskers

Had one brought in a while back, .32ACP, pretty good shape except that the safety catch is broken. Anybody got a source for this part? Tried Numrich and Jack First--nada. Not too anxious to try welding or silver soldering, tho it might work. Goatwhiskers the Elder

James K

Member In Memoriam
Is it the safety catch or the safety catch release? I once made one of the latter, but I think making the safety catch itself would be a lot of work and a lot more hours than the customer would spring for.

Jim

Goatwhiskers

Jim, it's the safety or "safety catch". Bad design, very thin, this one is broken. I'm a pretty good gas welder but this one scares me. Jack First offered to make one using the one they have left as a pattern---you don't want to know the quote. Goatwhiskers

James K

Member In Memoriam
In contrast to Mauser's reputation for designing and manufacturing the best rifles in the world, their pistols are neither rugged nor well designed. The famous C96 is not a good design and their pocket guns are disasters. Parts breakage is common, especially springs, and the use of flat springs and parts that are their own springs is trouble looking for a place to happen.

In the old movies, Peter Lorre (who always played a Nazi agent) carried a Mauser 1914; I doubted he ever fired it as I would have heard the springs breaking if he had tried.

Jim