Matching set 30 years apart.

SaxonPig

About 30 years ago I got the itch for a custom heavy caliber rifle. I like the Remington Model 30 which was made from after WW I until the start of WW II. It greatly resembles the 1917 but is more refined and more sporting than military looking. Also happens to be a true magnum length action so it can be built into a heavy.

I found a 30 in a local shop and it was in terrible shape. No loss to rebuild it. I had the smith make it into a 460 Jeffrey (404 necked up and case blown out).

A couple years ago I found another 30 in better but still far less than collectible condition. Had a very low serial (#122). Had a brilliant idea to make a twin to the 460 in 300 H&H. Very classic rifles in classic calibers. The 300 was made 30 years after the 460...by the same smith...and I think they make a pretty cool pair.

standard.jpg

Vividia

Very cool!

How neat that the same gunsmith did them both, and thirty years apart, at that. What beautiful work!

MJFlores

Very nice rifles and interesting back story too. A fine brace of classic safari rifles to take to Africa...a heavy for big stuff and a medium for plains game!

hoghunting

Your 'smith did a great job, congratulations on using those actions. Do they cock on the bolt closing or did the gunsmith change that?

James K

Member In Memoriam
FWIW, the Model 30, 30R, 30S, .30 Express, and 720 did not just resemble the Model 1917, they were Model 1917's, using the huge stock of parts left over from Remington's WWI production of the military rifle. While some parts, like the bolt, were heavily modified, and many parts, like stock, sights and non-.30 barrels were new manufacture, it can be said that Remington never really made any center-fire bolt action rifle between WWI and WWII. The parts left over would have been enough for about two weeks of wartime production; at the civilian production rate, they lasted 20 years and would have lasted even longer had WWII intervened and ultimately caused a complete overhaul of Remington's centerfire rifle line.

Jim

fourbore

I had the smith make it into a 460 Jeffrey (404 necked up and case blown out).

Is that the 460 G&A? I remember reading of that from the pre-lott days of 458 win mag. IMHO, a great alternative.