Match Director blues.......

WESHOOT2

I set up the last match (www.gmps.ws) on Saturday, and shot Sunday with the other 45 competitors.
It felt like I didn't really shoot, like I wasn't hardly there. I gathered my focus sufficiently to smoke one good stage (out of five) but for the rest I couldn't tell you what I did.

Am I alone with this problem?

(I like shootin' my 9x19 Witness 'cause it's super-reliable, accurate, rust-free, and I don't have to feel guilty not picking up the cases.)

Lycanthrope

Nope. After 3 years as MD, I have tooooo much to think and organize on match day to actually relax and focus on shooting. Maybe if I had a lot of help....but I don't. The matches I have to run don't even feel like matches to me. They're not "work" per se, but they aren't the usual match feel.

Shooting a match is kind of like a ride where you love the scenery, running a match can be like driving a school bus of 3rd graders at times (not always, but sometimes).

N.M. Edmands

I stopped shooting the matches I set up, I just watch. If I do well it's "wah wah wah, you had an advantage". :rolleyes: If I give my usual backmarker performance, it's "how come? " :eek:
[ this is MY wah wah wah ] ;)

Eghad

Hats off to you guys that are Match Directors.....

I betcha nobody ever thanks you after the day is over...but they probably bitch a lot....

so thank you.

Brian D.

Remember, being Match Director is not a lifetime appointment. When you want to resign your MD duties, give the shooters a year or so heads-up of your intentions, witha definite deadline of when you're stepping down.

If someone agrees to take over, help them transition in during your last match or two. If nobody comes forward, that's a sign that it's time for you to take up a different game, as a newbie competitor. Or at least go take in some of the same type matches at somebody else's club.

ted murphy

I usually do not do my best at the outdoor matches I run. too much on my mind. At the indoor club I usually do better, not as much going on there.

FWIW I have a lot of fun running matches so I don't mind if I don't shoot or don't shoot well. There are plenty of matches in the area on the off weeks that I can attend and concentrate on performing there.

mike4045

I used to Md for some local clubs. I never shot as well at those matches. Now it is a 2 hr drive to get to a match. So I had a good excuse to not do it anymore. I think everyone should try it to see what it's like. I just don't have the time anymore.

Mike

scottys1

I second Eghad's sentiments. A big tip of the hat, a firm handshake, and a sincere thank you to those willing to put in the time and effort to be MD's.

At a club match last Sunday, the MD pointed out that the stages (other than the classifier) were reruns of stages shot in the past. He also mentioned that he was on vacation and had come from camping and fishing with his family to MD the match and didn't want to design new stages. Nobody had any problem with that. He was also short an RO. I volunteered. He RO'd the classifier until I was done shooting. I was able to finish up in less than an hour (four stages). When I showed up to assume my duties, he was pleasantly surprised that I was there so quickly. He later came through to shoot my stage looking maybe a little more relaxed than usual. Hopefully I made a difference.

If everyone helps out even in a small way, it makes the MD's, RM's, and even the RO's jobs that much easier.