Masterpiece Arms .45

EdInk

I know, I know.... It's a closed bolt semi-only MAC lookalike. And that it's nothing more than a bullet hose made of welded cheap steel.

Anyway, they still look like they could be a FUN and inexpensive range toy. I just want to know if they are any good. Anyone own or use one? Thoughts?

Thank You.

Icopy1

I had one a couple of years ago. It was reliable, but not very accurate with the standard iron sights. It was heavy in the 45 acp version that I had. But it was fun, but it was expensive because you will go through so much ammo!

Que

I just picked up an MPA 9mm Mini made just a bit up the road. The Mac has a history here in Georgia. A local shop has had them and I have been mildly interested. After making some trades I had some extra store credit so I pulled the trigger on one. It's not usually the kind of weapon that interests me, but I have always been somewhat intrigued by the Mac. Many will say that it's useless as a semi-auto, but I'm looking at it as a fun toy and nothing more.

I had a choice between the tradional top-cocker and a railed side-cocker. I chose the top-cocker as I really have no desire to add optics and the top-cocker is lighter in weight and in cost, being over $100 less expensive. This gun takes 32 round Sten mags which are still relatively plentiful and not all that expensive although they used to be cheaper (like everything else). The gun has a barrel threaded for 1/2x28. I'm not interested in those fake suppressors and barrel "extensions". I have an A2 muzzle break that I have opened up to .39" which allows a 9mm bullet to pass freely. How accurate this will be will depend on my drilling. I will also acquire a Lone Wolf flash hider. Other than that the gun will remain stock.

From what I understand MasterPiece Arms has brought the Mac up to the 21st Century. While the design is simple, and arguably crude, the execution and construction of this pistol is anything but crude. Just because something is simple doesn't mean that it can't be well built. From what I have heard MPA has, with the use of CNC and more modern manufacturing techniques, brought the Mac up to more contemporary standards. The gun's build quality really impresses me. The sights are nothing to write home about, but this isn't that type of gun anyway. The trigger is unexpectedly light with the expected creep. I have heard that trigger slap is less of an issue with the MPA. I have replaced the clear rubber trigger boot with a black aftermarket one.

Again, this isn't my usual type of weapon, but so far I'm glad that I aquired it.

Que

Can you still fire it pretty quickly as a semi auto?

I would think about as quickly as I can afford ;) My thought is that the 9mm might be a bit faster, at least as to accuracy, with less muzzle jump. I'll have to check out some videos to see what is realistic.

The full auto Macs seem pretty doggone fast. I'm not going there!

EdInk

I am one of the last guys that needs to be sold on the benefits of 9mm instead of 45acp. However, I am trying to add a 45acp to my collection. I really like the 1911 but the recoil from it is a little much. (I had a neck injury about 7-8 years ago and have some nerve damage. Everytime I shoot a 1911 in 45acp my neck "twinges" from my pinched nerve, for the next day or two. I was thinking the extra weight would take some of the recoil out.

Que

You'll definitely get some extra weight with the .45, and a side-cocker will add even more weight. The problem is that with a weapon like this with weight there will probably be a point of diminishing returns.

BTW, Carlson Comps makes some comps that are worth looking at but would only work with the 9mm. Lone Wolf also makes them in 9mm and .45 for Glocks that could be used that would further reduce recoil.

Que

BTW, for anyone looking for something to put on the muzzle of their Mac who doesn't want all of those heavy extenders Lone Wolf makes a number of flash hiders and muzzle breaks for 9mm and 45 Glocks. I opted for the "A2" style flash hider shown below. It just arrived today and the fit couldn't be better. You can't beat it for $20.

img8574j.jpg

Que

Lone Wolf has the .45 threaded at .578x28. My 9mm fits like it was custom made for the gun.