Massachusetts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone here from Massachusetts?

I was perusing the Berry's Bullets web site a few minutes ago and I noticed that their .45 ACP handgun bullets all carry the note " **UNABLE TO SHIP THE PRODUCT TO THE STATE OF MASSACHUSETTS** "

What's the scoop? Is it illegal to reload in Massachusetts, or is it only illegal to buy reloading components in Massachusetts? If you can't buy components by mail order, is it legal for you Bay Staters to drive across the border to Vermont or New Hampshire and buy components to bring home and load?

IIRC, Massachusettes and Illinois require a special form to be filled out for purchasing some firearm-related equipment and supplies. Some businesses don't want to be bothered with fulfilling special requirements and some have decided from a liability standpoint, it isn't worth the risk of being found to be complying incorrectly.

candr44

I'm not sure about ammo components but its illegal in Massachusetts to buy ammo on line and have it shipped to your home. You need a firearms license to buy ammo, magazines, and firearms here. With the prejudice against guns here, I don't see why ammo components would be any different. It is legal to reload though.

Its Massachusetts' way of keeping ammo out of the hands of unlicensed residents. Although, anyone can cross the border and buy ammo out of state but they risk getting charged with a felony if they bring it back and are caught without a license.

TruthTellers

The law on the books in Mass is ammo components are ammunition and require an FID or LTC to purchase.

They also have a law if you have more than 10k primers you have to get some form filled out and signed by the local fire chief.

Also have a law that you can't have more than 5 pounds of black powder.

Mike38

IIRC, Massachusettes and Illinois require a special form to be filled out for purchasing some firearm-related equipment and supplies. Some businesses don't want to be bothered with fulfilling special requirements and some have decided from a liability standpoint, it isn't worth the risk of being found to be complying incorrectly.
Illinois is getting weirder and weirder by the day. I've never been asked for proof of age to have reloading components shipped to my front door, but it wouldn't surprise me if some companies are requiring it just to cover their butts. For ammo shipments, all shippers require a copy of my FOID card. But, there are a couple that flat out refuse to ship live ammo to Illinois. Matter of fact, just last week I had to send back a case of .22 LR to CCI because it was faulty. I wanted it replaced, but CCI is going to refund the money because they refuse to ship live rounds to anyone in Illinois. Funny, but the case was shipped to my front door from Target Sports USA. I think, but don't know for sure, live ammo shipments are only restricted to Chicago, the rest of the state it's perfectly legal. Us down state normal people get lumped in with the Chicago folks all the time. Little known to most non Illinois residents, there are more of us down state people than there are people living in the Chicago city limits.

Marco Califo

In California, to buy ammo in a store you need the Federal Real ID, passport, or certified birth certificate, utility bill showing your address, pass the online background check, and have a note from the Easter Bunny.
You can no longer have ammo shipped to you. It has to go to your FFL for paperwork. The state keeps records of what you buy and how many. And must complete an online background check.
Beto O'Rourke said it truly about Democrats for gun control: Yes, we are going to come and take away your guns! That was before he dropped out of whatever he was running for, who ever he was.

In researching this further, I finally found this web site:
http://massreloading.com/ma_ammunition_regulations.html

Here's the wrinkle:

A Massachusetts resident must have a valid firearms license to possess ammunition. There's a twist... Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 140 Section 122 defines ammunition as:

"cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun"

In other words, you must have a firearms license to even possess an ammunition component.

So I guess that explains it. I can understand a smaller company such as Berry's not wanting to get involved in having to maintain a database of firearms licenses for every customer to whom they sell bullets.

I can understand it, but I don't have to like it. Someone referenced the "death by a thousand cuts," and this is how it begins. One state enacts a low like this, and companies stop selling to customers in that state. Then other states follow, and the companies stop selling to customers in those states, too. Eventually, no customers can buy anything because the manufacturers have stopped selling and put themselves out of business.

Okay -- enough. That's getting into politics, and I don't want this thread to go there. This discussion area is for reloading, not politics, and not Law & Civil Rights. Bottom line -- in Massachusetts, bullets are (by statutory definition) "ammunition."

Road_Clam

I live very close to the MA border, I actually work in MA. Where I CC I have to be VERY careful about traveling across the borders from NH to MA. I also have a coworker whom is an avid gun enthusiast and has a "target" handgun license (no CC). The MA democratic anti 2A climate is just INSANE as far as the most ridiculous firearms laws , and SO poorly written that many out of state gun stores simply refuse to ship anything to MA.

Pathfinder45 said:
If leaving Massachusetts is not feasible, what about taking up bullet casting? Or would that be a felony too?
See post #9. Casting bullets is not a felony if the caster has a firearms permit issued by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Whether you buy them or cast your own, bullets are bullets, and it appears that under Massachusetts law bullets are defined as "ammunition." And possession of ammunition requires a valid firearms license.

Brit

My wife and I made a trip to see her 91-year-old Aunt, from Florida to Lancaster PA.
I sweat bullets in the 29-mile window crossing into PA from MA! Thought my Florida plate might be a hunting license?
Loved the 1000 mile trip (Except that 29 mile bit)

Pathfinder45

Puzzled by your route since Pennsylvania and Massachusetts don't share a boundary.....
What is even more contradictory is how the American Revolution started in Massachusetts, and they are quite proud of that fact, hoping visitors will take in all the historic sites; meanwhile, that State is perhaps the worst offender in violating the 2nd Amendment. So much hypocrisy...........

This thread was about availability of reloading components in Massachusetts. I asked that we NOT get sidetracked into politics. My question has been answered, and it appears people can't not talk about politics even when requested to abstain, so ...

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.