Massachusetts Idiots

wormtown

I was inspired by the "Colorado Idiots" thread.

In MA we have one of the most oppressive state tax systems, with double, tripple and quarduple taxation rampant. One ballot question set to fix this was the question that give MA residents taz credit for thier tolls, and excise tax for any toll roads in MA. This came from the fact that the MA turnpike has been paid for at least 4 times over and has an operating budget larger than the highways and roads budget for the rest of the entire state. And these are the same people who brought us the boongoggle called the Big Dig (it's billions, yes BILLIONS over budget).

However, question 4 was defeated. Can someone please please explain to me why on earth you would not vote to reduce your taxes, especially when they benefit a clearly corrupt and wasteful bureaucracy? For the life of me, I can't figure it out.

USP45

Yes, Massachusetts is filled with Idiots; No, Ballot Question #4 (Income Tax Reduction) did NOT fail. It won 59%-41%.

Question #6 (Tax credit for tolls and exise tax) failed.

------------------
~USP

"[Even if there would be] few tears shed if and when the Second Amendment is held to guarantee nothing more than the state National Guard, this would simply show that the Founders were right when they feared that some future generation might wish to abandon liberties that they considered essential, and so sought to protect those liberties in a Bill of Rights. We may tolerate the abridgement of property rights and the elimination of a right to bear arms; but we should not pretend that these are not reductions of rights." -- Justice Scalia 1998

RobertR

Don't feel bad. We lost our tax reducing amendments as well. It was only $25 per year, but the Lib's cried that fire departments in rural towns would have to shut down.

We also had a chance to get Amend 24 which would require voters to approve growth. We lost that too. What was funny, all the Kalifornia developers building and laying asphault had vote NO signs.

It appears developers won't be happy until Colorado looks like NYC. Concrete, blacktop and everything grey in color.

Hoppy

I know how you feel.

Granted, a tax credit on the tolls I pay is not exactly what I want from them...I want the toll booths completely removed for good (that was the original plan) but I'll still take the credit if I can. I thought it would've passed.

What I couldn't believe was the opponent of the income tax reduction that I saw on TV.
He said "most people would only save a few pennies a day, they wouldn't even notice it.." DOH! These Boobs truly believe it's their money to give back to us.

Hoppy

wormtown

Sorry USP45, I mixed the two up. I knew the income tax reduction passed (I voted for it). Just can't believe people are so stupid they fall for the old scare tactics of "all these services will be shut down (usually education, fire, police, etc etc)" EVERY time tax reductions are mentioned.