Mass shooting in Samson Alabama...

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
http://www.wtvynews4.com/home/headlines/41047492.html
Update Flowers Hospital and Southeast Alabama Medical Center have not received any trauma victims. Medical Center Enterprise hasn't been contacted for help either.

We received a call in the newsroom from a woman who works at reliable products, that's where today's scene ended.

According to this caller she and other co-workers were crouched in the corner of buildings, trying to protect themselves. The gunman burst through the back door of the business at which time he was killed.

The caller says she couldn't tell if the gunman was shot by law enforcement, or if he took his own life.

No workers were injured at reliable products.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update Early reports indicate at least 5 to 8 people have been shot to death in Samson, Alabama after a gunman went on a killing spree.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The shooting incident started in Samson, Alabama then the gunman took off in his vehicle, driving east on Highway 52.

When he reached Geneva, he fired shots at the local Wal-Mart.

He then continued driving toward Enterpirse shooting from his vehicle at officers who were in pursuit. Somewhere between Geneva and Enterprise, officers were able to stop the gunman.

We have reports that the gunman has been shot to death by law enforcement officials at a business on Highway 27.

At this time, others have been reported shot at a service station in Kinston during this rampage.

Wiregrass Medical Center is taking shooting victims in Geneva.
Very breaking news on a shooting just 30 minutes north of my town. Not a gang type innercity crime. Very rural place and it is generally safe. Proof positive that you are never a paranoid nut job for wanting CC. Seems possible motive is job loss/ financially related:(
Brent

cptclem

Terrible tradgedy. Prayers for those who were lost and condolences to their loved ones. No further comment until more information comes to light

leadcounsel

Mass shooting in Alabama on March 10, 09

I can't help thinking that one armed person could have stopped this loon. Facts are still coming out.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D96RGT280&show_article=1

SAMSON, Ala. (AP) - Authorities say at 10 people have been shot and killed in two south Alabama towns, including the gunman.
The Alabama Department of Safety says at least four shootings by a single gunman left at least nine people dead before he killed himself.

The department says in a statement that the shootings began late Tuesday afternoon in Samson. The shooter killed five people in one home and one each in two other homes.

The gunman then shot at a state trooper's car, striking the vehicle seven times and wounding the trooper with broken glass.

Police pursued him to Reliable Metal Products just north of Geneva, where he fired an estimated 30 rounds.

The statement says the gunman then went in the business and shot himself.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

SAMSON, Ala. (AP)—At least seven people were shot and killed Tuesday in south Alabama, including the gunman, officials said.

Six people were confirmed dead in the town of Samson, said police dispatcher Jim Stromenger.

Samson Police Chief Gary Weeks said the suspect was shot and killed. But it is unclear whether it was self-inflicted or whether he was shot by police near the Reliable Metal Products company outside neighboring Geneva.

Stromenger said the gunman started firing at a gas station in Samson, shooting a woman there.

He then went to a Samson home and shot five people, Stromenger said. He said it was unclear how the shooter might have been related to the people at the house.

Stromenger said the shooter then drove 12 miles east to Geneva "and apparently he shot some people there and he made it to Reliable metal and that's where the incident ended."

The suspect's name was not released.

The Alabama Bureau of Investigation said it would have a statement later on the shootings.

Reliable Metal Products makes grills and vents for heating and AC systems, mainly for hotels. A call to a person who answered the phone at the plant said no one could talk about the shooting.

The towns of Geneva and Samson are about 11 miles apart, and roughly 30 miles south of Fort Rucker, near the Florida border in southeast Alabama. Geneva's population is about 4,400 and Samson, 2,000.

chris in va

Wow, I sit and watch TV for a while then come back to the 'puter to find this. Good God.:(

EDIT: And doing a Google Maps I just found out that's not far from Dothan where my friend lives.

dmaye

sad!!!
I'm a bama boy. this was a few hours south of me. I had the fact this is going to give the anti-gunners more fuel for the assault weapon ban BS.

Why can't these freakin nuts go crazy with a spoons or teddy bears or something? I hate this type of crap xxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help thinking that one armed person could have stopped this loon.

Well, it did happen in a state with concealed carry and apparently did not happen in notorious gun-free zones.

At least one person with a gun did attempt to stop the shooter, but got injured himself...and he is a professional.

Interestingly (and sadly), two of the dead are a wife and child of a deputy sheriff in Geneva. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7936382.stm

He was a former employee of Reliable Metal. http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/03/10/shooting.alabama/

SwissSIGFan

Where is The Nuge when one needs him most? :(
Pretty much surprised that nobody managed to take him down while he was at it.
I should imagine that he must have made an awful amount of noise, etc, not something that goes undetected....

???

SSF

iamkris

And now CNN includes this in their story...

The gunman ended up at the Reliable Metal Products plant in Geneva, where police rammed his vehicle, forcing him to get out. He fired a 30-round burst with what appeared to be an M16, grazing Police Chief Frankie Lindsey with a bullet.

Expect this to be used as fodder for the new AWB. It is these kind of incidents that created the tipping point in other countries. It could easily be used as a rallying point for Pelosi and crew to decide that it is "time to listen to Eric Holder"

:(

parrothead2581

I first saw this story on CNN last night around 10. Anderson Cooper had the Alabama State Trooper PIO on the line. He asked him:

Anderson Cooper: "Do you know what kind of gun was used? I mean he's firing off 30 round clips."

POI: "It was a semiautomatic Anderson."

Anderson Cooper: "A semiautomatic, huh a semiautomatic."

I couldn't help but feel Cooper wanted the PIO to say an "assault rifle."

Dingoboyx

Condolences to everyone affected by this tragic event.

But as to it being a semiauto or not, or how many rounds in a clip.... if you check out "fastest guns" on youtube, there are guys on there with 6 shoot'n wheelguns firing, like one dude, shoots 6 on 4 targets, reloads and shoots, 6 on 4 targets again....... in 2.9 seconds :eek:

So it's not about whether it was a revolver, semi, or any kind of assault weapon, it's just tragic in every sense of the word :( When will this crap stop happening?

Muzza

Kleinzeit

But as to it being a semiauto or not, or how many rounds in a clip.... if you check out "fastest guns" on youtube, there are guys on there with 6 shoot'n wheelguns firing, like one dude, shoots 6 on 4 targets, reloads and shoots, 6 on 4 targets again....... in 2.9 seconds

But the people who can do that are in a tiny, tiny, tiny minority.

Just saying.

Kleinzeit

Don't get me wrong -- I'm just as worried as you about this getting turned into fodder for the politicians. But that line of reasoning won't win any arguments.

Gunsmom

Even though this happened in an area I'd expect to be pretty gun-friendly, in small towns I think we have a tendency to get a little complacent about how safe we are; "nothing ever happens here, do I really need to carry if I'm just going to the grocery store" line of thinking.

Then too, even in small towns, you may be going to places where you can't legally carry: picking your kid up from school for a dentist's appointment, for example, or mailing a package at the post office.

In any case, this is really sad.

spodwo

But as to it being a semiauto or not, or how many rounds in a clip.... if you check out "fastest guns" on youtube, there are guys on there with 6 shoot'n wheelguns firing, like one dude, shoots 6 on 4 targets, reloads and shoots, 6 on 4 targets again....... in 2.9 seconds

Not a very good comparison...and I say this not to be ANTI -

Those fastest guns people practice for years and years, burn through 1000s of rounds of ammo...plus the ranges for that type of shooting are danger close ranges....those shooters are professional by practice.

It doesn't take a lot of finesses to load a 20-30 round magazine, point and shoot a semi rifle that has a barrel length of 16-20 inches which would inherently make it more accurate. He apparently was spraying bullets everywhere also, randomly shooting. I also have to wonder how much ammo he had with him...I say this because that has backlash potential also [limit the use of how much ammo can be purchased, magazine capacity limitations, etc.]

Truth is - this guy that killed 9-10 people, including himself, did nothing to assist the NRA. Think about the next guy that goes into a store in that county, asks to buy an AR15 type rifle and buys a couple of hundred rounds of ammo...I would think that some would be a bit concerned about that persons mental stability. That feeling by some may be paranoia, unfounded, whatever but incidents like this do NOTHING to assist in 2nd Ammendment rights.

I have always contended that there are some people that should NOT have access to pointed sticks, let alone firearms but you can't predict when a person will snap.