Maryland Gun Range

FrankyCorleone

I am from Hagerstown,MD. I recently placed a order for my first handgun a Springfield Armory 1911 Trophy Match. I've been looking around for a place to practice, it seem there isn't many ranges in the area.

Anyone know of a good range in my area?

I may be willing to travel somewhat into WV, Martinsburg/Fallingwaters area.

I'm really jus looking for a place to shoot.

I've checked out all of the local range listings from various websites, I'm looking for some personal experience.

Thanks.

ffxmike

it's not the best lit, and it's a bit unusual, but there are a few places in martinsburg, and surrounding areas.

Martinsburg has Sparks Sports Center. If you're coming from hagerstown, you can't miss it on I-81. Just after you pass martinsburg mall, you'll see the signs on the left hand side (of course, you'll have to get off the interstate before you see the signs)

I believe the only restriction at sparks is no black powder guns, because you shoot underground, and ventilation isn't great. Very low cost to get a lane, but there are only 3 lanes available (previously 4, I think something happened to number 4, it was padlocked last time I went there), but you have to pay 50 cents to turn on the range lights & ventilation system every 15 to 20 minutes (not positive on that time, but, still not bad). it's a little odd, but once you get used to it, it's a good time. Not the best place to shoot pistols, more a rifle range, goes out to 100 yards, I believe. I usually shoot both pistols & rifles when I go.

There is also the range at sleepy creek, I think the address is listed on WV DNR site, only thing is if you are shooting rifles in a caliber > .22, you can only have 3 rounds in the magazine at a time. This is an outdoor range, bring everything with you, because there's no place to buy anything once you're there.

edit: found a url for sleepy creek, but doesn't have an address. I only know where it is because me & a friend drove around one day until we found it.
http://www.wvdnr.gov/Hunting/WMAAreas.shtm

WV DNR said:
Sleepy Creek WMA (22,928 acres) Berkeley and Morgan counties. Located approximately six miles southeast of Berkeley Springs and eleven miles west of Martinsburg, travelers may use state Routes 8/2 (Highland Ridge) and 13/5 (Greenwood Road) in Morgan County or state Route 7/9 (Jones Springs and Shanghai) in Berkeley County. Oak-hickory forest covers 3,500 acres while Virginia pine-oak forest blankets the majority of the area. Sleepy Creek is primarily managed for deer, turkey, grouse, squirrel and raccoon, with wild turkey the featured game species. Sleepy Creek Lake, 205 acres, contains a good sport fishery for largemouth bass, bluegill and crappie. Boat launching facilities are situated at the dam spillway and near the midpoint of the lake. The area also has a rifle range. Seventy-five camping sites are available and trailers over 17 feet are not recommended due to the graveled roads. Water and vault toilets are available and a nominal camping fee is charged. Owned by WVDNR.