"Marrying the trigger"

RT

The first operation deals with smoothing the mating surfaces of the sear and trigger. What we are trying to do here is what is called "marrying the trigger". It is very simple. After making sure that the gun is unloaded, look and make sure that it is unloaded again. Next, while applying upward pressure with your thumb to the cocked hammer, pull the trigger. You need to apply a good deal of pressure with that thumb. Repeat this step a few times until the trigger pull feels smooth and the gritty feel of the new trigger pull is gone. This removes the microscopic burrs from the surfaces, resulting in a smooth release. Don't over-do it. You want to smooth it, not wear it out.
http://www.gunblast.com/Poorboy.htm

Does this work? Is it bad for the gun? Does it work on SA autos?
Thanks.

Shooter 973

Marrying the trigger!

Yes this really does work. Find out more about the process over on Sixgunner.com. Find the article on a simple, easy trigger job on a single ation Ruger and follow the directions on almost any Revovler. I've done it to most of my handguns and it does make a difference. :D :D It also works on most autos that have a vissible hammer. :D :D

croyance

It just seems like accelerating the wear. From that it seems like it should work.
At the end they say not to overdo this trick.

trapshooter

Or, you could just shoot it more.:D

Actually, 'getting' the grit' out is one good reason to 'break-in' a gun before you really decide if you like it, or not, and can rely on it for serious use.;)

I'll add this. "Trigger-jobs" should be reserved for 'competition guns', or weapons that don't smooth out after a reasonable break-in, whether or not you use the technique in question, but are otherwise desirable..(JMHO).

Mike516

This is such a simple "trick" that it seems it should be done at the factory as part of the final assembly process. How long could it take? Every manufacturer stives to sell a product with a smooth and crisp trigger pull right out of the box. If this helped, why don't they do it? If they do it, why do so many NIB pistols have such poor triggers?

I personally perfer to live in sin with my triggers, thank you.

I guess I'm a bit Mormon about it, too, since I'm a trigger bigamist. Multiple triggers in the house.

brentfoto

So, isn't this similar to checking for 'push-off', then immediately pulling the trigger as part of the process?

brentfoto

I tried this little trick and there was noticeable improvement in my CZ-75B DA pull, as well my K and L frames.

Improvement was more noticeable in the CZ-75B as no prior 'trigger job' performed on that gun.

Did the exercise 5-7x in each. I like it! Thanks!

AirForceShooter

it's usually referred to as the "poor mans' trigger job"
Yes it works quite well.

Multiple triggers? You're going to that burning place .

AFS

brentfoto

Yes, but I'll take my triggers with me... :p

I first came upon this today while on Jeff Quinn's site (link, above) - so, 'Thanks, Jeff' - and if I go to that 'burning place' I have him to 'atone' for my 'sins'! :D

jfrey123

So I'm not quite sure what they mean by "push up" on the hammer... Is this action similar to lowering the hammer slowly by thumb? :confused:

Anyone care to word this differently for the noob?

chris in va

No actually just push FORWARD on the hammer while pulling the trigger. Give it some resistance. Make it hard to pull the trigger. Again, make sure it's unloaded.

Casimer

I've never heard it called 'marrying the trigger', maybe that's what they called it in '02 - today we call it 'boosting'.:rolleyes:

Dfariswheel

This has been called a number of different terms, but the idea is, the pressure will cause the hammer and sear to burnish off any roughness.

Done with less pressure and WITHOUT pulling the trigger, it's a test for "push off", or a hammer and sear that are defective and won't keep the hammer safely cocked.

You get exactly the same effect by simply shooting the gun or dry firing it, without the risk of damaging something .

WARNING: Doing it too hard can break, bend or seriously damage the hammer, sear, or their pins.
I've heard of "Billy Bobs" actually inserting a screwdriver behind the hammer and applying a LOT of pressure.
This almost always damages things.
I've heard this refereed to a "Levering the hammer".

DON'T DO IT.