Marlin's 795 & 7000?

VictorLouis

Is anyone here experienced with these models? They seem to be one heckuva value, and have features lacking on all of the competition. My Ruger has an awkward manual bolt hold-open but will not do so automatically on the last shot. The Rem. 597 will, but it lacks the manual feature. Both it and the Thompson Classic(gorgeous .22, BTW) require the insertion of an empty mag. It also shares the rear cross-bolt safety common to the Rem. and highly appreciated by me as a southpaw shooter when it comes to long guns. It also has a sturdy, single-column steel magazine, not plastic or pot-metal.

I've found one source listing the 795 at $100 wholesale, but the 7000(target) is at $282. I can't imagine the barrel alone accounting for such an outrageous difference. Perhaps it was a misprint, and should be at $182?(The stainless Papoose is listed at $167.) The only ones I've seen in-the-flesh are the 795($139) at Big-5, and the Papoose($199) at Sports Authority. I've not been able to fondle the 7000.

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I had the 795, you can search for my posts about it. Decent accuracy, but nothing exceptional. Reliability not all that great, magazine disconnect very annoying.