Marlin

Nube

I have acquired a Marlin 22 Mag "Lever Matic" and as far as I can tell it has no serial number or if it does I can't find it. I am understanding that before 1968 the manufacturer did not have to have serial numbers. If I am correct can some one tell me or give me an educated guess as to the age and value of this rifle? It is a shooter with some bluing worn off the barrel and some dings on the stock but for it's age I don't think in too bad of shape. Thanks in advance for any and all opinions. (Sorry for the sideways picture as I'm not too good with computers.)

Attachments

• IMG_0175 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0175 - Copy.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 104

Charlie98

I've got a Marlin 99M1 with no SN... besides seeing when they started production, there isn't really any way to determine age.

bamaranger

Levermatic

Why Marlin made the 'Matic, when they had a winner in the lever action Model 39 already is a wonder. But I always wanted a Levermatic in .256 Win Mag. But I'd settle for one in .30 Carbine too!

Congrats on your new rifle. It's from a great era when things were the way they were supposed to be......walnut and steel.

Nube

Thanks to all who replied. The age was in doubt without a serial number as I didn't think it was possible to "age" it without one but it was worth a "shot"

44 AMP

Staff
Prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968, firearms were not required by law to have serial numbers.

Many did, many did not. Some makers numbered everything they made, others nothing, and some numbered their high end / main line models and didn't number their budget guns.

Some makers use(d) a date code marking, often a letter, on the barrel or some other part. Others didn't. I do not know if Marlin did, or if they did, did they do it on the model gun in question? Sorry I don't have an answer.

A pre-68 gun with no serial number is completely legal. IF that gun NEVER had a serial number. No gun that had a factory applied serial number is legal if that number has been altered, removed, or defaced. (pre or post 68 doesn't matter if the serial number has been tampered with, it's illegal, period.

Nube

Thanks it looks like it never had any numbers on it and for sure it has not had any taken off so I've got a 'gooden' then, appreciate all the comebacks.