Marlin XS7 Stainless + Shilen .260Rem Varmint

FiveInADime

Last year I posted a thread about buying a Marlin SS XS7 in 7mm-08 with the intention of building a budget semi-custom rifle with. Well, I shot the rifle with a factory barrel for a year and I really enjoyed it but it's finally time to kick it up a notch. It's going to take me a while to get everything done (mainly because of limited funds, 11-month old little-guy, and daily responsibilities) but I have almost everything. Still need brass, dies, and bedding material. Also, I need to find a set of headspace gauges to either borrow or rent.

Here's the rifle as it sits with the factory barrel.

batx.jpg

Here's the pieces to the puzzle.

jhxv.jpg

Here's the pills.

x2ga.jpg

Pictures don't do justice to how long the 140gr class of 6.5MM bullets are. They're like little speers.

I will update this thread when I make some more progress. I think it's pretty cool to get where I want to be for $750. Thanks for checking it out.

globemaster3

Awesome! I look forward to updates as your work comes along.

Never having bought a barrel before... Is that just a protective cap over the muzzle for the crown, or a thread protector?

AllenJ

I like projects like this and am excited to see your results. What is the new barrel chambered for?

260 you say. Ooo!! she's going in for a nice overhaul. Top shelf replacement barrel No doubt about that. As I recall it was threaded here once there was such a business where you could either buy or rent reamers and other such specialized tooling. I'll check my past commenting threads. Anyway. Lots of work. But in the end she's going to be a dandy in the field. Gott'a love those Marlins!!

AllenJ

Quote:
I like projects like this and am excited to see your results. What is the new barrel chambered for?

Marlin XS7 Stainless + Shilen .260Rem Varmint

Yea, just saw that. Feel a little foolish now:(

ndking1126

Nice. I've got a Stephens 200 in 223 I'm rebarreling to 260 Remington. I'm currently deployed, but I bought a Shilen barrel before I left. I've got a Rifle Basix trigger and a Bell and Carlson Medallist stock. I'm at $825 plus whatever I paid for my basic Luepold rings. Scope right now is an old 3-9 Bushnell my dad didn't need anymore. Total bill won't be $825 for long, lol.

Can't wait to get back and get it all together.. you're post was fun to read.

Last edited:

ndking1126

Jim Briggs at NSS. I got lucky, he had a couple blued, 1-8 twist shilen barrels in stock. He said they weren't selling well so Shilen had discontinued them/quit supplying them, something like that. I was tempted to buy a second, but just didn't have the cash.

FiveInADime

I was going to order from Jim because he has the SS select-match barrels for the same price midway sells the standard match. But I found a $30 coupon, and Midway had an SS .260Rem in stock so it ended up being $305 shipped. I don't think I will be able to utilize the extra .0002" of precision the select-match offers, anyhow.

ndking1126

Yeah, I've got the standard match too.. I didn't think the select would be worth it for me. I think I paid $270 plus shipping. Again, said it was a close-out type special.

Why did you pick A-max? I was debating between them and the SMK. Everyone rifle I've shot the SMK through they were excellent in, but this will be the first time I'll load my own with that bullet.

FiveInADime

Simply because I found a box for $30. I'm going to try some lighter bullets as well such as the 130vld, 123smk, as well as the non-vld Berger 140gr. BT match.

ndking1126

Nice, good find. I've made that type of purchase before, so I understand. Let us know how it shoots and what recipe you end up with. I'll probably start with H4350, as that seems to get good reviews in the 260.

FiveInADime

I have a little H4350, RL17, IMR-4350, and 4064 on hand. Wish I had some slower stuff but I'm all out. I will probably pick up H4831SC to try.

FiveInADime

Looked at the new barrel through a borescope today. Pretty nifty tool, I don't know about $1400 cool but if you buy several barrels per year probably worth it. I must say, there's a huge difference between a hand lapped barrel and your average hammer forged factory barrel! I couldn't believe how smooth the bore is. My Marlin button barrel looks like it's threaded on the inside and that's with the naked eye! Still cleans easier than my Winchester barrels. Looked like a copper mine in those.

FiveInADime

That .223 to .260 Rem. is going to need some bolt work too !

New bolt-head from PTG is all, correct?

I wish someone was making replacement bolt heads for the Marlins. Particularly ones that are .115" deep so I didn't have to have metal turned off of my new barrel. No biggie, I knew it was a possibility. Minor setback.