Marlin XL7

natman

They are a bargain at the price. It's hard to believe you can buy a new gun that nice for so little money.

twins

I have the camo version in 30-06. Couldn't get it to group well with factory ammo (best was 2.5" with Core-lokt) at 100 yards. Got it to group MOA with handloads but it took a while to find the right bullet/load combo. Purchased it when it first came out at $250. How much are they now?

I suggest you look at a T/C Venture. About $400 now but IMO it is worth the extra dollars.

roc1

My Marlin has shot 1/2 groups with wallyworld ammo.I think for $305 you cant go wrong.It is light and the bolt is smoother than the Remington i felt right beside it.The trigger is like the Savage Accutrigger and is adjustable,mine is fine for a hunting rifle. I know for more money you could get a better gun like the TC but for a few more dollars you get get a Winchester or Tikka or etc. that is the problem you keep putting a few more dollars and where do you stop. I have not seen a better rifle for $305 NIB anywhere.
roc1

warbirdlover

I didn't think much of the Venture. Or the Tikka T3. That's not saying they're not accurate but I don't like the looks. This Marlin looks nice, especially the camo version.

Hog Buster

My grandson just purchased an XL7S in 30/06. I put a scope on it for him and he went out back and shot several 1 inch groups. I gave it a try and was impressed with it. Good trigger and accurate with 150 grain factory Core-Lokts and some of my 165 grain handloads. From what I see it’s an excellent gun for the money.

Poodleshooter

I've shot two, besides the similar XS7 my dad owns.
Both were accurate for hunting rifle purposes (1.5-2" groups benched at 100yds with a cheap 3-9x scope and factory ammo). I suspect handloads could do much better. Trigger pulls were ok, but not as good as the Savage Accutrigger or the Remington Xmark.
One of the XL7s I shot had an extractor shatter however, which was a new one. It's not every day you see a bolt rifle extractor break like that. So far I've seen a Sako type extractor and a Ruger M77MkII claw extractor fail in my shooting career, so I'm pretty happy with my Remington 700's "puny" extractor.

shanzlik

I have an XL7 in .270win and it's pretty much my go to hunting rifle. I use a Redfield 4-12x40 accurange scope on it, and the combo is nice and light and shoots pretty close to 1MOA with factory ammo. I think it was around $250 when I bought it, so the whole rig was under $500. The trigger is quite nice, especially for a factory job. The action is also pretty smooth.

rantingredneck

I have the XS7 in 7mm-08. With a Nikon Prostaff scope I have a nice deer rifle for around 450.00. I paid 300.00 even for the rifle. With cheap Winchester Power Point 140 grain ammo it's a 1-1.5" gun at 100yds. I expect it'll do better with handloads, but I'm not setup for the caliber yet.

Looking to get a youth stock for it so that it can do double duty as a gun for the kids when they're ready to move up from the .243.

Logs

Marlin, Edge or 770?

I am thinking of getting a Rifle in .308. Can't decide between the Marlin, Savage Edge or Remington 770 they are all about the same money.

natman

I'd recommend the Marlin, with the Savage a close second.

The Remington 770 is a steaming pile of junk. Crudely machined, poorly designed and one of the ugliest guns ever made. I wouldn't own one if it was given to me.

grubbylabs

I bought a XS7 308 and I love it. It shoots great and groups well. I shoot hand loads so I am not sure what it does with factory ammo. But if I settle down at the range then I can make clover leaves all day with it at 100 yards.