Marlin XL7

hotcha45

I'll find out!

I now have a Marlin XS7 in .308 and an XL7 in 270. Academy was clearancing them for $259 a couple of weeks ago. Previously I had not paid them much attention but got to looking and they are good looking with a Weatherby Vanguard-ish fluted bolt and have Marlin's version of an Accu-trigger. Bought both calibers they had. The 308 is sitting in my rifle vise, scoped up and ready to go to the range but the weather has rather prevented that. Today the forecast high is 5 above zero! I have run out of scopes so the 270 is in the box for the moment. Do have ammo loaded up for both so if the weather ever moderates and I can find another scope for the 270 both will go to the range.
Just hope they shoot as good as they look. If so, they are a real bargain in rifles.

hifi

I have one in 25-06, 308 and 7mm08. the finish is a little rough and loading the mag can be frustrating, but they all shot really well.
Can't really say anything really bad about them yet for the money.
Good luck with yours and have fun.

FiveFeezy

I just picked one up in 308. As stated before, the finish is a little rough. There are a few sharp edges on the steel that I think would be smoothed out on a more expensive rifle. One of these sharp edges is on the outer corner of the muzzle and the bluing did not adhere well there. It is a very small imperfection, but since the rifle is new, it bothers me. Once I get to using it and putting a few more blemishes here and there I won't care a bit.

Other than that, the trigger and action both feel smooth and it shoulders very nicely. I have not shot it yet.

EmptyHull

I have one in a 30-06. The only complaint is that I am not found of the blind magazine. I prefer clips. That said, it is a great gun and a great value. The trigger took alittle to get used to but it is ok now. I would recommed this gun. Tim

Dougw47

Marlin's new rifle...

I looked at them at Dicks Sporting goods when Academy had them on sale.

(Dick's is 40 miles, Academy is 110...)

I like it better than Savage on overall fit and finish, I did see a Savage .243 a WW that was so badly bedded that you could put a quarter between the action/bbl and stock. I suggested they send that one back. Sales clerk at WW blew me off.

The 2 Marlins I saw were much better fit an finish rifles.

I am going to pick up a .30-06 this year and that may be it.

furtaker

My brother bought one for his son in 25-06 and I reloaded for it last summer and got .535" goups out of it!!!! For the money its got a very good trigger almost like the Savage accutrigger and very good accuracy. The stock and finish are cheap as others have said. I dont think youll be disapointed!!!!!

Billy Tasso

Marlin XS7 .308 win

Just bought one today just to have a .308 which I didn't have before, and to have a gun that I can just throw around the truck and not have to worry about scratching it (like I would with my Browings or Rem. BDL).
Next question is what scope to put on this puppy. I don't want to drop a whole bunch of money into a scope for this gun so I was looking at the BSA
4 x 16 x 42 Military dot Illuminated reticle for doing some hog hunting at night. Any suggestions guys?
I'm looking forward to seeing how this gun shoots. It is truly one of the most enjoyable things I do with a new rifle once the scope is mounted.

Anybody got any ammunition that this gun seems to like? Let me know and I'll give it a try. I'm just going to zero in and get a few rounds through the gun with some inexpensive Remington or Winchester ammo. Then I'll move into some of the more expensive ammunition made by various manufacturers to include Remington and Winchester.

Billy Tasso

Marlin xs7 .308 win.

I spent about two hours at the range today with my new Marlin .308 xs7. I was shooting inexpensive Remington 150 gr. Core-lokt and was well pleased with the performance of the rifle. Action was smooth, with no binding throughout the loading - ejection operation of the bolt. Recoil was what I expected from a .308, and was not excessive in this relatively light rifle.
I got consistent 11/4" groups at 100yds and, when I got lucky, there were a couple of 3 shot groups where each hole was touching the other. I am very pleased with the rifle. The one thing I didn't like is that it is difficult to load under the one piece scope mount that spans across the top of the bolt. That being said, I guess I shouldn't complain about the shooting and handling of this $259.00 rifle. It shoots very well and holds its own right up there with my much more expensive rifles.

The scope I mounted on the gun is a BSA 4x16x40IR. It performed well and held zero throughout the power settings. The adjustable objective lens had to be adjusted when the power settings were above 12X in order to clear up the image; however, on the lower power settings, it was not that critical.
I guess, more often than not, you get what you pay for, and this was only a $100.00 scope. It was clear at all ranges at the lower power settings; however, when set above 12 X it seemed to become somewhat hazey. It was not a particularly clear day, with it being overcast, so it may not have been a good day to judge the clarity of the scope at higher settings. If it holds up for me and retains zero during normal use, I'll be happy. I just didn't want to put a lot of money into another scope and put it on this inexpensive rifle. That being said, if this one doesn't last, I'll probably step up to a Bushnell 3200 Elite, which I like and have had good results with.

In summary, I give the rifle an A and the scope a C+. It will be a good combination to shot hogs late into the evening. The adjustable illuminated reticle works well...hope it continues to do so.

rantingredneck

I bought an XS7 in 7mm-08 a couple weeks ago. Haven't shot it yet. I put an old Redfield scope on it, but have a Nikon Prostaff on the way for it to replace the Redfield. It's got some years on it and is not very clear. Hope to take it for a spin next weekend maybe.

Snakum

I had to bed the recoil lug, float the barrel, and stiffen the forearm on my XS to get it under MOA consistently. But now it will shoot MOA with good ammo to 500 yards if I don't let it get hot. Mine shoots best with Federal Gold Medal Match and my handload running 42.5gr 4064 under 168gr SMKs. On days I'm not fighting the wind I can actually print a sub 5" three-shot group at 500 yards if I allow time for it to cool between rounds sent.

I haven't shot a cloverleaf with it yet, but I have seen others do so. Mine always hovers around an inch at 100 yards, but stays small as I stretch it out. Weird. But it works. I even put a Bushnell Elite 10x on it and ran my dope tables to 500 yards, for the beanfields.