Marlin Papoose?

Chindo18Z

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/70PSS.aspx

Any owners' comments?

Accuracy/reliability (compared to similarly priced 10/22, standard Marlin 60, Savage, etc.)? Any quirks or nice-to-know pointers? Good enough to harvest rabbit, squirrel, etc.?

I'm looking for a backpackable takedown .22LR / truckgun.

I've already looked at the Henry Survival but ruled it out for having (IMHO) an enormously non-ergonomic buttstock and problematic feeding/magazine issues.

I've found many off-hand recommendations in favor of the Papoose, but very little actual detail about the rifle (even at RimfireCentral.com).

I'm not in love with the stainless finish and black stock, but I'd probably hit it with a can of Krylon anyhoo.

Thanks in advance...

angeldeville

I believe the action is the exact same as the model 60/70 etc...

My model 60 had about 25,000 rounds through it with 2 spring and buffer changes, and it's ready for another 25,000.

I'm thinking of one for my son's first semi.

Chindo18Z

angeldeville: The Model 60 action is one of the reasons I'm leaning towards this version. I'm already a fan of the tube-fed 60 (owned one years ago). If the Papoose shoots as well as the 60, I'm sold.

Danny Creasy

I had one years ago. The barrel is secured by a locking ring. The shooter hand tightens it and then snugs it up with a little flat wrench that Marlin provides with the rifle. It was finicky about head space. I finally got it working well and then left it assembled. It was not very accurate. I eventually traded it with some boot for a Marling 39A. Have not looked back.

If you want an extremely compact .22 carbine, I would suggest the Taurus stainless Model 62 pump.

I put a pistol scope on it for a hoot. But, it is alot handier without the glass. A very fun plinker. Ammo vanishes before you know it:rolleyes:.

taurus-1.jpg

Last edited:

chris in va

Doesn't break down, but have you looked at the Henry lever action carbines? They're quite small and portable but shoulder nicely. Depending on the size they hold at least 12 rounds.

Lawyer Daggit

I had one before semi auto's became hard to own in Australia.

I did not like the iron sights- too crude.

I subsequently bought a second hand marlin 39TDS- basically a carbine version of the 39 carbine and I am much happier with it- v accurate and easy to take down.

Chindo18Z

Great comments. Thanks.

I'll have to seriously consider the suggested alternatives (especially the Taurus), but am pretty sold on the Papoose at this point.

I had a papoose, it was accurate with a small glass. regret sellling it now. the soft case it comes in will (allegedly) float the unassembled gun. it was ammo-sensitive.

jmorris

The Browning Semi-auto 22, is probably the most well designed breakdown 22 I’ve ever seen. Its tube fed through the stock (so you don’t have to worry about loosing the mag). No tools or screws to lose, just flip the spring loaded lock and ¼ turn and it’s broke down. It has a flip down rear sight, is very light and bottom eject so it’s just as good for south paws. If you could put up with a little more weight for much added versatility take a look and either the Springfield M6 or one of the Savage 24 rifles. Both are break down over/under style the M6 is 22lr/410, 22/mag/410 or 22 hornet/410. The Savage can be had in many more configurations (my favorite being 22lr/20ga).

dmazur

+1 for the Browning .22 semi-auto. It doesn't seem to be fussy about ammo, it's accurate, and it's easy to take down. They offer one in stainless, for a considerable higher price.