Marlin or Remington

T-Ray

I have a remington 597 .22lr and it's pretty good. my question is, should i trade it in (and pay a little) for a marlin? i think the tube magazine would be easier to load and i wouldn't need to buy more tubes...

Last edited:

T-Ray

actually, what would you reccommend i trade it for? i want something that won't jam and preferably not have a spring loaded magazine. i would like to have a semi auto but i would be up for a lever action

Bigfatts

Both the rifles you mention are good guns, with the 597 usually having the edge slightly in accuracy. The earlier 597s had alot of problems with jamming because of the mags. How old is yours? 597s from what I hear are better run dry, with no lube. Oil it up and wipe it off, that's fine. Check this forum for jamming fixes with your 597:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Real good info there. If you are dead set on trading it off, try a Marlin 60.

Mountie

Marlin makes a good rimfire, Savage is no slouch either. If you want a lever gun have a look at the Henry rifles as well...great prices and outstanding customer service!

FirstFreedom

Rimfires

If you're on a budget, you can NOT go wrong with a Marlin or Savage, IMO. If you're on a budget with an extra $100, get a CZ 452.

The 597 Rems are apparently hit or miss on feeding issues...some work great.

T-Ray

mine is a 2005 model. also i like the thought of tube feed because you don't have to force them in

T-Ray

i just looked at marlins website and am seriosly considering the camo 60. it looks good and i like the finish better than that weird grey color remington uses.

T-Ray

how much do you think i could get for my remington? it's about 85-90% after i clean the acton. it'll also be sold with an eagle 30rd magazine which will be brand new (i sent the old one in because it cracked) so i am planning on adding around $20 for that.