Marlin Models 980T and 795 Questions

RimfireChris

Hello all, I have a couple of questions about the two models mentioned in the title. How would you compare the Model 795 to the venerable Model 60? I've owned a 60 but had to sell it some years ago, and am really thinking of going with the 795 this time out. Also, anyone who owns/has shot a 980T, what did you think? I've never had a tube fed .22 bolt action and the idea of being able to use all the .22 ammo under the sun is quite appea:Dling to me. Thanks in advance.

Jimcxt10

Hi Chris, I own both a 795 and a 981t. The 980 is a magazine fed bolt. The 981t is the tube fed bolt. So maybe you're thinking about the 981t bolt?

Both the 981t and 795 are bargain 22s. I tend to shoot free hand with a sling and both are more accurate than I am. I can't say for bench rest.

The 981t handles long rifle, longs and shorts and all feed fine. The 981t holds 17 LR rounds in its tube and it is nice not having magazines to load and keep up after. 17 rounds provides a comfortable number of rounds especially at the more measured pace of the bolt action. The bolt is easier to clean and bore sight. If you go after the tube rifle, I recommend you check out a product called "Spee-D-loader". It is a cannister with about 7 or 8 tubes that you can use to quick load your rifle's tube. Nice for the range. I ordered mine from the company. I believe Cabelas carrys it as well.

The 795 is a great light weight carbine. I have the 10 round magazines and it too has been trouble free. The 795 is basically the same rifle as a 60. The receiver is pretty much the same and it even still has the drillled out hole for the 60's tube. So everything you liked about the 60 like last round bolt hold open... you'll find in the 795 except magazine versus tube.

I took the 795 to an Appleseed this year and made rifleman first AQT. So the little Marlin is certainly up to the task. Tech Sights has aperture sights available for the 795, if you have interest. I've tried them and they are amazingly accurate. However, I have mine scoped since I my eyes aren't what they used to be.

I like the bolt for teaching new shooters as they concentrate a bit more on shot placement and aren't as prone to just empty magazines.

Which to buy? Both are well worth the money and which one is just up to your prefererence for form and function. They're cheap... get one of each. <smile>

cerberus65

I recently bought a 795 that was on sale and had a mail-in rebate. Total cost was a few cents short of $100. I bought it because I already have a 980S which I very much like and is very accurate. And of course, because it was cheap. Well, it feels pretty cheap but it sure shoots well. I have a scope on the 980S and I wanted one that I could keep with open sights. I've been enjoying it a lot.

I had a 981T and it was pretty nice. Certainly more than capable of reaching rifleman at an appleseed. I am planning to get a 981TS here very shortly.

RimfireChris

Thanks everyone esp. Jimcxt10, you answered all my questions and yeah, I meant the 981t. Looks like I'll be ordering both on payday:D Where can I find those tech sights you mentioned? I'll probably scope mine too, my eyes aren't gettin' any younger either, but I always like to keep my options open.

RimfireChris

Will do, as far as witch one though, I can tell you for sure the answer is both. I can order them both through Walmart for $310 for the pair. I was outta town the other day and popped into another store and they had a 795, so I could handle it and woulda bought it on the spot but the price was about $40 higher.

RimfireChris

Well, I had to drive a bit, as Wally World couldn't order the 981T. Stopped at a local store and he had a 795S, and was able to order me a 981TS, wich is awesome as I really prefer stainless on guns I shoot a lot. So basically, they're gonna be gettin' my business from now on. The 795S made a brief trip to the river bank with me this afternoon, got about 100 rnds of Super X through her and I am in love. :DCan't wait 'til Tues when the other should be here. Unfortunately, I guess the rebate only applies to the blued model, but thanks for the heads up. Here's the link to where I bought them, if you're ever in Western Washington stop by, these guys are great.
:Dhttp://www.eastcountyguns.com:D