Marlin Model 60

Wendyj

I’ve been looking at these and reading about them for a few months. Would like to have a nice used one but can’t find any that aren’t all rusted out or beat to death. The new models are on sale at decent prices. Was wondering if anyone owns the newer one and opinions. Would like to do some plinking and squirrel hunting with it. Don’t care much for the 10-22 and the Marlin has a higher cheek weld to it. I’m wanting to scope it with a Vortex 2x7..

DPris

Member Emeritus
Last new 60 I had here had a synthetic stock.
Shot well, but Marlin was obviously cheapening the model.
Not up to my older one from 40 years ago. :)
Denis

kenny53

I have three model 60. I have had more but gave some away. I never bought a new one always finding them in pawn shops, most under $100. One was almost brand new and I gave $117 for it. They are all great shooters. The one that was almost brand new is my favorite. Black composite stock and deadly accurate. My buddy from California was up for a visit last month and he fell in love with it. I had to check his luggage when he left just to make sure he didn't barrow it.

Hawg

I've got an old one and a SS one in a laminated stock I bought new about five years ago. The newer one runs just as good as the old one and is just as accurate it just has a shorter barrel and mag tube.

jmr40

Don’t care much for the 10-22 and the Marlin has a higher cheek weld to it. I’m wanting to scope it with a Vortex 2x7..

The Marlin is a decent gun, but I'd strongly reconsider the 10-22. I don't care for the standard carbine either, but they currently show 88 different versions of the 10-22 on their website. If you throw in discontinued versions they've made over 100 different variations of the 10-22. Many of them actually designed to fit an adult. The standard carbine is not.

My favorite. And they don't cost much, if any more than the standard carbine. This out shoots my CZ 452.

https://ruger.com/products/1022Sporter/specSheets/1237.html

GlocksRfun

I sold mine 8 months ago to buy a 10-22. The Marlin was a nice enough gun, it just wasn't fun to shoot (for me) I'm not a fan of the tube feeding system.

Hawg

I sold mine 8 months ago to buy a 10-22. The Marlin was a nice enough gun, it just wasn't fun to shoot (for me) I'm not a fan of the tube feeding system.

After 6 or 7 years of non use I gave my 10-22 to my niece. I don't like the Ruger mag and it was the least accurate .22 I owned. I'm not saying it wasn't decently accurate but it was nothing to brag about.

jstanfield103

I have the Stainless Steel Model 60. Have it scoped and is very accurate. Bought at Walmart I think for $195 with scope on it. If I could of found one without the scope I would have bought that one instead. The scope that comes on them are really just plain junk.

Mine is very accurate and holds 15 rounds of 22lr. The only problem I have had with it was when shooting it yesterday I noticed the front sight has loosened up. Never noticed till yesterday due to it being scoped. When I went to tighten the screw up on the front sight the head of the screw came in to two pieces. Called Marlin they are sending me one right out. No problems. I just used a screw plug for the screw hole and probably will leave the sight off of the rifle. Like the looks of it that way. If I ever change the scope or take it off I will have the sight and screw to put it back on the rifle.

Buy with confidence they are a great rifle.

Hawg

I have the Stainless Steel Model 60. Have it scoped and is very accurate. Bought at Walmart I think for $195 with scope on it. If I could of found one without the scope I would have bought that one instead. The scope that comes on them are really just plain junk.

I never took the scope that came with mine out of the box. I bought a fixed 4X Bushnell for 25.00 and it's still a good scope.

stillquietvoice

I have 2 older models a glenfield 60 and a pre rem both run well and plenty accurate. Triggers are a little heavy but can be lightened with a 30 dollar spring kit.

Picher

A neighbor brought a Model 55?, pre-"Curser" to the 60 for me to fix this fall. There were a couple of problems including a broken ejector spring and the Magazine tube follower.

It was not the most fun I've ever had working on guns, but managed to fix it and get it back together...a major problem, since I'd never taken one apart and will NEVER do it again! Couldn't get the magazine tube apart without dynamite, so found a (new) replacement that's very nice.

ms6852

I have one in a laminated stock, has very decent accuracy. If money is not an issue would recommend a Savage or a CZ.

FITASC

I have a newer one from a few years ago and it shoots better then the 10/22 side by side using the same ammo AND it is cheaper to buy. Got mine for $169 and Gander threw in a few boxes of RWS target ammo to boot.

Wendyj

I'm not knocking the 10-22. Have had a few but don't feel right in my hands. My husband bought my Dad one for Christmas. He wanted a used one and we got the last decent one they had. It outshot the 10-22 all day long. My husband broke it down and it was black inside with looked like 30 years of no cleaning at all. Wasn't a hard breakdown with the exception of the spring that always wont's to bend going back together. I have tried to find another older model but they just are not in any condition to consider buying. I was amazed at the accuracy in it and even more so that it was so dirty it shouldn't have even shot. I tried scoping my Henry Golden boy 22 but the drop in the stock makes scope use really hard to get a cheek on the stock. Even putting risers on it the scope was still too high. The Vortex 2x7 I have will work fine for the kind of use I want out of it. I mainly want it for a working man's gun. I am leaning toward synthetic now since the newer stocks seem pretty shabby compared to the older models.

littlebikerider

I have a wood/blue Marlin 60 I bought a year or two ago. It shoots just fine! Like you, I have nothing against the 10/22, I just prefer the feel and balance of the Marlin. It may be nostalgia, since that it what I got to shoot when I was a kid.

The Marlin is inexpensive, and built as well as it ever was. Don't waste your time trying to buy a used one and save 50 bucks, just find a sale on which variant of the Model 60 you like best and buy it. Heck, if it's under $150, buy a spare! :)