Marlin model 60 vs. Marlin Model 795

stangfan93

I want to get the Model 60 but I think i would prefer the 795 because of the magazine instead of the tube magazine. That way when i am walking around i dont have to worry about the rod. Just buy a few extra magazines and then walk around with them in my pockets.

I worry about feed reliability with the magazines on the model 795. Can anyone help with my dilemma?

OnTheFly

Marlin 60

I have a Marlin 60SS, but I don't have any experience with the 795. Though my understanding is that the only difference is the feed mechanism.

As far as feeding issues, I don't remember ever having a problem with the tube feed. When I clean it, I make sure the interior of the tube magazine is wiped down with a little solvent and a very light coat of oil.

I must also admit that the rifle is reasonably new and probably has less than 2,000 rounds through it. It is a lot of fun to shoot, easy to strip/clean, but I am still working on the accuracy. I've been using Federal ammo, but have heard that it is not the most accurate ammo.

Limeyfellow

I no experience with a Marlin 795 but I have with its older model the Marlin 70, which is basically just a Marlin 60 thats magazine fed, as well as the Marlin Glenfield 25 which is another magazine fed Marlin, this time a bolt action and the only problem I had was the catch to release and insert the magazine into the rifle is on the front of the magazine and are generally as tough as old boots to press in and can take some fiddling to get it into place. If you got some nice easily inserting magazines though you got a fine rifle. Other than that you not got much difference between the 60 and 70 apart from price and a little bit better balance on the 70 from the weight not altering down the tube and it can be quicker to load.

Another thing to notice is that the 70 has a smaller amount of ammunation it can hold, especially when you have one of the earlier model 60s.